Water Pan

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
Can you cook baby back ribs without the water pan? Per a previous post I made, I won't have access to a water pan by this weekend, but don't want to screw up the ribs. I know the water pan is intended to keep the temperatures low and steady. Is it possible to hold a 250F range without the water pan in place?

Hi Russell, I'm definately no expert but I think if you start with less coals, having to add maybe once during the cook and very few lit, catching the temp on the way up you should be ok. Although you'll probably get better advice! Good luck! It's definately worth a try

Clark

Direct heated ribs are great. Done it once before on the WSM and they took only about 3 - 4 hours. I did three racks (trimmed to fit grate). Stacked then on top of each other and rotated every 30 minutes or so. Started bone side down and then flipped to meat side down. And yes, you can keep temp near the 250º. Just flip your ribs fast because opening up the lid will up your temp

Use the minion method and catch the temp on the way up. Very easy to control. If you fill the whole chamber with hot coals and then add meat you will be battling all day.

Hope this helps.

Back