Water Pan Gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
Was wondering what people out there do, if anything, to deal with the gap between the edge of the water pan and the wall of the smoker. The heat blowing through this gap seems to dry out exposed ribs to jerky consistancy. I was thinking of using crumpled foil to close the space. Any help would be appreciated.

That would be akin to firing up your furnace and closing all the vents in the house. If what you're cooking is so long that it extends past the water pan, you can wrap the tips of the food itself in foil to protect it, or cut racks of ribs in half to keep them away.

Jim,

Probably not a good idea to seal up that gap.

What most of us do is try to keep the meat inside the diameter of the water pan, because you're right: outside the diameter of the pan is hotter than inside.

When I do something like a salmon filet that I want to keep whole is to put some foil under the ends to protect them from that hotter air. Just 2 or 3 inches on each end.

You also might try the Brinkmann Charcoal Pan. In addition to being more stable and having more capacity, it is a tad bit larger around.

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back