water pan foiled ?

Finn Anthony

I wanted to ask if the water pan must be foiled or not . Is it only to make cleanup easier or another purpose ? I see some wrap the bottom and also the inside . Others just the inside of the bowl. Thanks....Finn

Just makes cleanup easier. Wrap the bottom too, though. I didn't with the first cook, and had lots of grease scorched on it. I didn't realize it would do that.

I don’t wrap the bottom, but I do use large heavy duty foil so nothing can get to the bottom. Also, elevate the foil off the bottom a little by adding a few foil balls or rolls. This helps in preventing the drippings in the foil from getting scortched.

I have a 22.5 WSM and the pan is bigger than my foil. I have tried making a folded "seam" in the middle, but the fat seams to find it's way into the pan either way. I still foil the pan, but it doesn't keep it that clean.

I do the same as Ken, I am not worried about the bottom of the pan. I treat it just like the rest of the insides of the WSM, it is made out of the exact same metal and finishes.

Back