Water or Marinade in the water pan

I have had several good old boys here in FLA tell me that I should be using marinade in the water pan and not actually water. Is this something that others do? Would this work in a smokey mountain. They all use trailer dry smokers and I told them that the dripping down into the water pan would turn into marinade due to the rub and juices at which time they remind me I am just a Yankee being from PA and wrong. What is your outlook gang?

Eron,

The answer to your question was provided 22 and 17 posts below yours. They are titled water pan question and water pan question part 2.

Bob W

Hey Eron. Regardless of what liquid you put in the water pan its only job is to act as a heat sink for the cooker. The very little bit of steam that is produced wont actually penetrate the meat and wont make it any more moist than it already is! A lot of people dont even use water in the pan, some use sand! So dont waste any marinade or beer, just use plain old water.

Bye the way, tell all them good old boys that a yankee named Scottie from Chicago won the Jack!!! So we must know what were doing up here!
icon_cool.gif

Windy City Smokers

Back