Water heater blanket

Hunter Lewis

TVWBB Member
Hey gents,

I just wanted to inform you guys that woever first covered their wsm with a water heater blanket (i think it was kevin Kreuger) is a genius. I have a butt on the pit right now in broomfield and the winds are steady at 25 knots, gusting to at least 35. With the blanket on the smoker, temp has been steady around 250-260 for 4 hours now. Usually i battle to keep temps up, and now I have one vent totally closed and the others open about 40%. Thanks for the great idea Kevin! Any of you guys that batttle wind and cold, this is the best $20 you will ever spend. besides, your smoker is worth it.

Smoke On

Hunter

I had this problem on Thanksgiving Day in Illinois . I will be investing in a blanket thanks for the tip.

Rick
The Smoke Hunters

rick,

you won't be disappointed. I didnt affix it to the smoker and cut a hole for the access door, I just wrapped it around and hold it in place with bungees. If you do this, you can unhook the bottom bungee and open the access door for whatever you need to do. If you like i can post some photos. this way, when it is nice, you dont have to keep the blanket on. Also, the foil shell is really delicate so extra care with handling and some more foil tape are a good idea.

smoke on

hunter

A jacket for the WSM is the best thing for cold weather. I used one for a Thanksgiving turkey. The temp was 19 degrees and the WSM held a steady 350 temp.

I'll never cook in cold or yucky weather without one again!

I have mine cut in half more or less. I have a top that sits on top that is easy on/easy off so I can open the lid easy. I looks like the old style army hats before they went to the beret type lol.
I have the type with foil on both sides, and used the metal tape on any open cuts so no fibers float around. The cutout on the bottom is for the Guru.

47b5df02b3127cce9ea3cb06c78f00000016108IZMW7lyyaK

if anyone knows where you can get one of these babies that is more durable, id love to know. Otherwise, i recommend an extra roll of aluminum tape cause the shell tears easily.

Back