Water, Clay Saucer, or Just a Good Ol' Foiled Pan?

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
Folks, I got my DigiQ DX this week, and am planning a cook perhaps this weekend, but no later than next weekend fer shure.

I THOUGHT I'd read somewhere that with the unit, there's no need for anything other than a foiled pan (in my 22.5 WSM), that the device will take care of maintaining the low temp w/o the need for a heat sink.

To make sure, I went back to try to find the post, and can't seem to locate it on this site or others to which I subscribe. I'm pretty certain it didn't come to me in a dream or during that one time in my life I succumbed to the intoxicating effects of Jim Beam!

Before I waste a couple of butts, can any experienced WSM/DigiQ owner advise if a LOW & SLOW cook can be accomplished using just a foiled pan with the DigiQ, or need it be accompanied with either water or a clay saucer in the pan?

Any help would be appreciated!

You're probably thinking of THIS post.

I don't have the Digi but do have a Stoker so the same principals apply. No need for a heat sink, just find the magic position for your top vent and let the Digi do it's thing. My buddy Ed C. DOES have the DigiQ II with a 22", he uses the same setup.

I stopped using water in the pan the day someone asked me, "Why?".
So, I stopped. I didn't have a decent reason to answer him.
Never added water to the pan again.
Butts.
Spares.
BB's.
Chicken.
Turkey.
Brisket.
Everything I've cooked on my WSM without water in the pan has turned into wonderful meals, snacks, extravaganzas
icon_biggrin.gif

...and I'm not braggin'.
Foil the water pan top and bottom and be happy
icon_smile.gif

Keep in mind that one of the reasons for having water in the pan is because it provides a "heat sink". Using just a foiled dry pan may result in difficulty maintaining a stable temperature within the cooker in less than optimal weather conditions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vincent Carrocci:
Keep in mind that one of the reasons for having water in the pan is because it provides a "heat sink". Using just a foiled dry pan may result in difficulty maintaining a stable temperature within the cooker in less than optimal weather conditions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

EGADS! I thought I'd made up my mind....
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R L Bagwell:
Originally posted by Vincent Carrocci:
Keep in mind that one of the reasons for having water in the pan is because it provides a "heat sink". Using just a foiled dry pan may result in difficulty maintaining a stable temperature within the cooker in less than optimal weather conditions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By the way, Vincent, I checked out your website after reading your introduction the other day - some great photos there!

Just out of curiosity, given your 3+ years experience with the WSM, what took you so long to join this site?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerd Hilkemeyer:
Vince,
Do YOU use water in the pan, while running a stoker? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. We've had success using water, sand and a clay pot in the pan. I've never tried the Piedmont Pan thing though. Have you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R L Bagwell:
By the way, Vincent, I checked out your website after reading your introduction the other day - some great photos there!

Just out of curiosity, given your 3+ years experience with the WSM, what took you so long to join this site? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the comments regarding our website and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the pics!

As for the delay in registering here, I guess it just seemed like the right time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vincent Carrocci:
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. We've had success using water, sand and a clay pot in the pan. I've never tried the Piedmont Pan thing though. Have you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Piedmont Pan: Never
Clay Saucer: Never
Completely Dry: Sometimes
Half filled to start and NOT Refilled: Sometimes/often

But those are running without ATC. When I get the stoker, I assuem we will try first just running dry, or perhaps I'll try the saucer. Seems to be soem logic behind it.

Back