Waste water question.

Rich Paq

TVWBB Member
What do you guys do with the waste water at competitions??? Do they usualy have some sort of disposal on site or are you required to keep it and take it with you??? I going to try to start up a team this year and I dont know what to do about this. Also what kind of set ups do you have with water for hand washing and general cleaning????

They generally have a gray water disposal site and a place for ashes.

You need a way to wash and sanitize stuff, some container for the water/bleach mix. We have a folding sink we take for this and are looking for a stainless work table and built in sink for the new comp trailer.

Every comp I've been to has had a place to dispose of the gray water and ashes. A few have a spot for grease. I'd ask your reps for the contest to verify for the ones you enter.

We use 3 bus tubs to wash up and sanitize. We use a turkey frier burner with a 20 gallon stock pot to heat water. Soapy water in one tub, hot water in second and hot water + bleach in third.

I would also suggest getting disposable cutting boards for your comps. I spent more time washing cutting boards during prep than anything else. Plus they take up huge amounts of space.

Ok I like the turkey frier burner idea. Do you then keep the water in the tubs after you use it or do you then dump the water in a bucket or something for disposal??

It depends on the requirements at the comp. Some I've been to we just dumped the water behind our site, others we had to dump in a grey water bin. Fortunately (it makes it easy in comps) and unfortunately (it's not always environmentally friendly) dumping behind the site is the norm.

My son and I do a few competitions each year and I agree that there has always been a place to dispose of waste water. As far as clean up is concerned I copied an idea I saw at one of the competions and made a wash station using a laundry sink. It's pretty simple....I got a cheap laundry sink at Home Depot that that came with faucets. Bought a medium sized plastic garbage can, a fish pond pump and some plastic tubing to hook the pump to the faucets. I heat water on our turkey and dump it in the garbage can (be careful not to boil the pump), drop in the pump and turn it on. I did put a switch in the cord to the pump and mounted it on some plywood. We use the switch to turn the water on and off. The only other thing needed is a bucket under the sink to catch the waste water. Due to the large size of the sink, it really speeds clean up. One other thing, I cut a small notch at the top of the garbage can for the plastic tubing. This allows me to put the lid on and keep the water warm.

I did some shopping around and Myron Mixon's online store has them for the best price before shipping. I haven't purchased any yet however. Big Poppa's Smokers have them also.

Water has always been available on site. We use a couple of five gallon Home Depot water coolers since water is usually at a commom spigot and the lids keep it from splashing out while transporting back to our site. We also "borrow" my granddaughter's water to haul the water.

So Mike, using your set up how much water do you bring to a comp or is water available on site???

Most sites have water available. Some have only one supply so you might want water jugs to tote it with, others have water to most sites. This info should be available in advance from the organizer

Last edited:

Back