Washington > Vancouver: Smokehouse Provisions

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Smokehouse Provisions
8052 E Mill Plain Blvd
Vancouver, WA 98664
https://www.smokehouseprovisions.com/

This review was provided by my best friend, Traeger cooker owner, and frequent brisket smoker Eric Solari who lives near Vancouver.

--

Friday night, a number of us went to Smokehouse Provisions in Vancouver Washington. Smokehouse Provisions is owned by BJ Smith of “Top Chef” fame.

I was initially hesitant to try Smokehouse Provisions. In my mind, I pictured it as a hoity toity place as opposed to what I really craved – a checkered red tablecloth joint similar to Rudy’s in Round Rock Texas. I was recently in RR on a business trip and we must have gone to Rudy’s about 8 times during the 4 day visit. Good stuff. Safe to say that my hesitations were premature. Sure, Smokehouse Provisions is a bit more upscale than what I just described, but the ambiance is great; a bit noisy, very casual with excellent wait staff. The service was nothing less than excellent. The only knock – the food all arrived at different times but it’s hard for me to hold that against them; when it’s ready it’s ready.

In terms of food… let’s start with the good. My wife and kids ordered combos of pulled pork, ribs and smoked sausage. I tried the pulled pork and it was very well done. Whatever they put in their finishing sauce was great. The sausage was good too but too much kick for the kids. More for me! I did not try the ribs but my wife said they were great. Friends ordered the chicken and they said it was delicious. Also good were the sides. I ordered the collard greens and their baked beans. I especially liked the beans – they weren’t too sweet. I’d classify them more as “ranch style but with lots of smoked bits of meat in them” as opposed to brown-sugared backed beans (which I’m personally not too fond of). The greens were really good and inspired me to try my hand at cooking them this summer. Hell I may even try to grow collard greens.

Now on to the not-so-good. I ordered ¼ lb of burnt ends and a ¼ lb of brisket. Redundant, perhaps, but there it is. When I ordered, I specifically asked for more fatty – even calling out “the point”. The waiter apologized to me and said he would not be able to accommodate that because the burned ends used up much of the point so I’d get mostly flat. Fair enough I guess. The burnt ends were really good – I thoroughly enjoyed them but perhaps they could have used a bit less sauce. Alas, the brisket slices were less than desirable. They were dry and not the least bit tender. I even found myself questioning the grade of beef – perhaps they’d gotten a good deal on select. Who knows? But it reminded me of the experience I had at Podnahs. What is it that prevents these restaurants from being able to serve a slice of brisket, flat or otherwise, at least as good as what I can do at home? I know it can be done – anyone that doesn’t believe me should go to Rudy’s (see above).

Anyhow, we’ll definitely go again but I’ll likely stick to the ribs or PP. I guess I’ll just have to buy more prime brisket packers at Costco this summer so I can get my fix.

Thanks for posting this Chris (and Eric)! It was perfect timing - we're leaving tomorrow for the PNW for a couple of weeks to look for an area to relocate, and since our daughter lives in Vancouver we might have to find time (and money!) to visit this place.

Back