washing meat off?

J Terpstra

I have my beef brisket in the fridge with rub. When I turned it over I seen juice, or could it be blood! Before I put on smoker should I wash, (rinse) brisket just in case it is blood. Ater rinse, pat dry, rub lightly, and put on smoker. Yes? thanks guys.

No, don't worry about it. Somebody else will jump in here with better food handling advice, but you do not need to rinse it.
I may rinse chicken or pork if it feels slimey, but for the most part beef I do not worry about.

I just took my chuck roast out, quick rinsed, and laid on the plate, you will see some blood whether you rinse or not.

I am sure there is another post or link around here for better instruction.

most likely what you are seeing is moisture that has been drawn out of the brisket by the salt in your rub. I would not rinse it off but I would probably apply more rub to the wet area.

G Rose is right on. I always rince my meat in cold water before rubbing, but when you add a rub that contains salt, you will wind up with the meat sitting in a puddle of liquid drawn out of the meat by the salt.

I really don't think it is necessary to rub meat and then put back in the frig, unless you are trying to do a dry cure. Typically, I just apply rub right before it goes on the cooker. That way you don't have to deal with meat sitting in a pool of liquid.

Back