Wash your Avocados.

That was me. I ended up in hospital 2.5 years ago. Dr treating me asked if I had eaten avocado I said yes, he said bingo another one. I wash EVERYTHING now in soap and water with a couple drops of bleach

Yeah water will not kill or remove the bacteria that put my a$$ in the hospital. The soap and water with a tiny bit of bleach was the Doctor's recommendation

Since the episode I have not been able to look an avocado in the face again (even though I love them) and know how to render them safe to eat. But foul? What is so foul about them. Well maybe the FLA ones. Since their nothing but giant watery globes with what feels like sand in them. Unlike the Haas which is only grown in the SW and Mexico and smooth, creamy and quite delicious not to mention very good for you

Good heads up Tim! I probably haven't been as diligent with avocados as I am with scrubbing other vegetables. Thanks!

Not just avocados. You have to wash EVERYTHING. If your knife or your hands are going to touch the outside and the inside even if you don't eat the exterior WASH it. Believe me you don't want to spend even 1 hour as sick as I was for about 2 weeks! Even our county health dept got involved in the case

Yeah water will not kill or remove the bacteria that put my a$$ in the hospital. The soap and water with a tiny bit of bleach was the Doctor's recommendation

My water has a distinct chlorine odor, so I figured that was enough?
What type of soap do you reccomend, dish, hand or other?

Tim

I just use dish soap. I do this on everything. Melons or any veg or fruit I will peel or consume whole. In a sink full of water you don't need much bleach BTW. Maybe a tsp. As for soap if you have soft water all you need is a little squirt. I make it up in a sprayer. You can also use good old white vinegar It also will kill the nasties and being a natural food product won't kill you if you ingest any :D

Back