Warranty schmarranty

CraigFlowers

I’ve been lusting after the two burner Spirit II as an upgrade to my 20 year old original Weber Q 100. I’m mostly a charcoal guy but love the convenience of gas particularly now that the kids have moved out. Hearing they were likely being phased out, I’ve been hounding the local stores waiting for the end of season mark down. This week I grabbed one for $389.

So I’m in the garage happily putting it together and providing a running commentary on the quality of the parts and instructions to my wife. And peppering in how much better the 10 year warranty is on the Spirit II vs the 5 year on the new Spirit line. Finally my wife had enough. Here’s how the conversation went.

Nancy: How many Weber’s do you have?
Me: Well, let’s see, three kettles, a Q, a Smokey Joe and a Jumbo Joe so 6.
Nancy: What’s the total combined years you’ve owned these?
Me: Whew, we got the first one for our wedding 30 years ago so I’d guess easily 100+ grill years total.
Nancy: And how many needed warranty service?
Me: [Sheepishly.]. A…a…none.
Nancy: Good thing you got that extra 5 year warranty!

I never thought of it that way.

-cf
Craig
Champaign, Illinois
“There’s steak on the grill tonight!”

I hope your good fortune continues.
However, I have come across many of ii's
with rusty cart pieces at less than 24 mos.

*Insert whipping sound here*

(Just kidding...I also have an insanely practical wife!) I'm Weber jealous...I have but the one and would be killed if I brought another home.

*Insert whipping sound here*

(Just kidding...I also have an insanely practical wife!) I'm Weber jealous...I have but the one and would be killed if I brought another home.
What if a weber was orphaned and abandoned on your doorstep?

What if a weber was orphaned and abandoned on your doorstep?
Yeah, that happens to me all the time. Just the other day there were these two kids sitting outside the grocery store with a cardboard box of Weber kettles and a sign that said "free grillz, take one home". People just walked by...

Yeah, that happens to me all the time. Just the other day there were these two kids sitting outside the grocery store with a cardboard box of Weber kettles and a sign that said "free grillz, take one home". People just walked by...
Weber kettles would be adopted quickly.

Now a char broil gasser? Those might end up at the pound 😉

I have to admit, I'm a total grill snob.... had to use a char broiler at the VRBO back in March of this year and I could barely touch the knobs.... It felt... just, you know... icky 🤣
This happened to me too with some friends over the summer. Hence the 1000 I’m rehabbing for them. The “grate” was like a cookie cooling rack or something.

Yeah it's all well and good until weber lets you down and doesn't even honor their own warranty. They throw those long warranties out there like some kind of badge of honor and then when you NEED it. You get Too Bad So Sad. We don't support that model. Then they send you a phony coupon for a new grill you HAVE to buy through them. At a VERY inflated price and then get a so called "discount".

Back