Warranty Question for Summit S-450 (Purchased in 2008)

BryanDP

I have a Summit S-450 which I purchased 14 years ago. My warranty is 25 years for the 'Stainless Steel Shroud', 25 years for 'Aluminum Castings', and 10 years for 'Cookbox Assembly'. My issue is that I have several tiny rust holes in the aluminum upon which the ends of the cooking grates rest (back and front).

Does this fall under the still valid 25-year warranty for 'Aluminum Castings' or the expired 10-year warranty for 'Cookbox Assembly'? I have reviewed all my materials and those available online. These terms do not seem to be defined anywhere.

Thanks for your help.

Yah, not sure about rust being a possibility on aluminum, but there could still be some kind of corrosion going on. My advice, call up Customer service and let them know what you got. They will probably ask for some photos and after they review them, they will let you know if it is going to get covered or not. They are pretty lenient in my opinion, so give it a shot.

sounds like box rot. this would be the lower cookbox. you'll need to call and speak with weber. they might ask for a series of photos to demonstrate what's going on. where the grates sit on is the cookbox and that is the known rot area. IIRC that is only covered under the 10 year warranty. but you might get lucky as the original owner with weber willing to send you a new cookbox gratis. post some detailed pics of the failing area if you'd like more details on a reply.

Here’s an old pic of my Summit’s box rot and burn through.

1649112442870.jpeg

Last edited:
Before you contact Weber, register the grill. They won't talk warranty or replacement parts unless it is registered. They mostly have that policy to ensure what grill model they are dealing with. Once you get it registered on Weber.com, then call the C/S and let them know what the problem is. If it is still under warranty, they will likely ask for some photos of the damage and go from there. They have been very accommodating in my dealings with them.

Understand like what happened with my 450 Summit, Weber will tell you "yes it's under warranty" but sorry we don't carry parts to fix it

Oh, I didn't realize that was a Summit. For some reason, I was thinking it was a Genesis E3xx grill.

Back