Want WSM for smoking, but can Kettle do for now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Ford

I've done a few smokes in the Performer Kettle and have been from somewhat successful to very successful. The inconsistencies make me want (read, not 'need') a WSM. If I did, I'd likely get the 18" as I cook for only 3.5 (not all kids eat much off grill). I've searched this forum and the internet a lot and read most threads. I would like to hold back from the WSM as I don't want to spend the $$ and just as important share the floor space with with the Performer. Can anyone convince me sticking with the Kettle for grilling and smoking is the smart thing to do? Also, anyone have step-by-step instructions on how they smoke in a kettle or a link? Thanks!!

Why spend the $$ if so far you have done well with he grill? Wait until you really need it and spend the money on meat for now. I smoke on the grill all the time cause it's usually only me and the wife and I own three WSM's. To smoke on the grill I stand two bricks on edge and load 15 to 20 unlit charcoal behind it with a wood chunk then drop a few lit ones on top. Try to keep a small fire. Add coals as neeed.Temp control is what your looking for and it takes some babysitting from the vents to do it. I usually add foil or a drip pan under the meat also.

I live in a metro area. Where can I purchase fire bricks? To control temp, I close the bottom vents (one touch) to about 16" of an inch and the top vents to whatever is needed, but eventually about 75% closed. What is recommended? Should it be the other way around and have the top almost closed and the bottom vents more open?

Welcome Chris...the kettle does excellent for smoking. Search this forum there are many links. As stated invest in a couple firebricks. This will set you back a whopping 4 bucks...your ready to smoke. Ive done briskets, butts, ribs w/ great success. Im actually cooking a 11 lb packer on my performer this weekend. If you have any other questions ask away. As far as your vents. Close the bottom almost all the way off and I usually close top 50-75% just depends. If the bottom is open too much and the top restricted youll have smoke choking in there so to speak. Look in your yellow pages and find your bricks. Brickyard or a chimney place they are out there just have to do a little search.

Hi Chris,

I've done many, many highly successful smokes on my grills. I simply use Weber charcoal rails instead of firebricks. Having not used firebricks, I can't say if they are better than rails or not. I've not felt any need to use firebricks. I always foil the unused side of the charcoal grate--shiny side up. I believe I learned that trick here, but have forgotten the precise source. Yes, use a drip pan as well.

I've smoked brisket--up to a 12# packer. I've smoked ribs, turkey, chicken, meatloaf, pork butt, beef chuck roast, beef eye of the round, etc. As Robert said, add charcoal as needed and the kettle will take more tending that a WSM. You can find a photo of a rib smoke on my 22.5" OTG HERE.

###

Yes, the baskets do work great, and I have used them often. Tending really isnt that much every 45 minutes or so...I just shake the basket to drop the ashes add more briquetes...your good to go. But...If you are looking for long burn times (6+ hours) w/out even opening the lid the bricks are key.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Michael:
Yes, the baskets do work great, and I have used them often. Tending really isnt that much every 45 minutes or so...I just shake the basket to drop the ashes add more briquetes...your good to go. But...If you are looking for long burn times (6+ hours) w/out even opening the lid the bricks are key. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Gary,

What about the firebricks allows for longer cooking periods without adding charcoal? Is it simply that you can add more unlit charcoal at the beginning? I use the rails--most often on one side only. These rails are different from the Char-Baskets™. I believe I could stack enough unlit charcoal to last six hours for a low-and-slow cook, but I never have. I usually start with enough charcoal to go about three hours low-and-slow and don't mind tending earlier if necessary.

I have been intrigued about the firebricks. But, I couldn't figure out what their advantage would be and I have had my charcoal rails since about the time I purchased my 22.5" OTG.

###

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Ford:
You all don't use the MM with Kettle? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris, I use a variation of the Minion Method. I bank the unlit briquettes against the kettle with a slight depression in the center of this pile of unlit. I place the lit on top--mostly in this slight depression with a couple lit briquettes off toward the sides of the unlit briquettes. The lit briquettes, then, light the briquettes underneath them and light the ones off to the sides.

###

I intend to get some fire bricks but in the meantime since I had plenty of standard bricks laying around I've been using them instead to bank the coals. Should I be concerned about them cracking or exploding?

Yes, the firebrick method is just a modified MM method I suppose. I put a 9x13 pan under the brisket, I kind of crumple the side of the pan that is facing the coals to add alittle more room. But the firbricks act as a wall/barrier and there is alot of room for a lot of coal. Esp if you Organize your coal structure a bit to utilize all the space. No problem cruisin for 6-9 hrs. The coals are literally to the top of the grate.

I too have just been using regular bricks covered in foil.
Picture690.jpg

Picture693.jpg

Chris, you don't need a WSM although the WSM makes life a little easier. You can smoke/cook anything on your kettle as you could with a WSM.

You may need to fiddle with heat management a little more. But all can be done on a kettle.

There are several posts/threads about how to do this in this section.

btw, a couple of years back I placed around 15th (can't remember exactly) in ribs by cooking them on you guessed it a 25 year old kettle and using Kraft sauce with honey.

John

Ive used the kettle for smoking probably over 15 yrs before i bought the wsm so yeah it works great just be patient with it

my set up is very close to roberts except i hang a piece of foil from the top grate to the lower one as a barrier. i don't use water anymore. works great.

As noted many times, no problem smoking with a kettle.

I didn't see this particular method covered so here goes. Bank charcoal to one side of grill. Use a medium log as a divider, same way as fire bricks are used above. (Note: if a windy day, bank coals on the windward side of the grill) Place 9 X 13 pan on other side for use as a drip pan. Use Minion Method to light. On the cooking grate place meat over drip pan (Note: if a windy day, make sure meat is on the opposite side wind is blowing from.). Place a pan of water ( a loaf pan works well) on the cooking grate directly over the coals and top off with water as needed. The water helps keep temps down in kettle. Kettle should maintain around 275 with minimal vent adjustments and I can generally get around 6-8 hours out of this setup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
my set up is very close to roberts except i hang a piece of foil from the top grate to the lower one as a barrier. i don't use water anymore. works great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you all for comments. I don't want to discourage additional comments if you have other suggestions! I'm soaking them in and will be smoking a 8-10# Butt tomorrow. What type of foil do you use? Will the standard foil work? Any concern of metallic flavor transferring to food?

Smoked a 3.5 pound and an 8.5 pound butt. I read of 16 hour smokes, but figures that was for folks with smokers at low 200 temps. I maintained 250- 275 degrees in the Performer. I had people to feed and pulled the smaller of the two and finished quickly in the oven. Too bad I had to do that. It was good. I pulled the larger off at 14 hours with an internal temp of 190. Wrapped it tight with foil and put into cooler for 90 minutes. Brought it out and it was falling from the bone. Unfortunately I was stuffed and only tested it. Wish my guests could have enjoyed this one. Is there a beef counterpart to a pork shoulder? I'd love to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back