Walmart price match test - Spares @ Kroger $1.49/lb

Steve M.

TVWBB Fan
Alrighty.... I'm going to give my "scan the national ads and take it Walmart" strategy a test this weekend. Here the Kroger ad from the Huntsville, Al. district (if you click on the baby backs ad for $3.99 you will see spares @ $1.49/lb for a box of 10#s, frozen).

I'm going to print it out and take it. I'm hoping they just look at the fact it is a Kroger ad. The Kroger here is not running this ad.

I'll let you know......

Steve, You might want to check the ribs at Wal Mart to make sure that they are not enhanced. The last time i checked Wal Marts here they where still selling enhanced ribs and i avoid them at all cost. The only meat i buy at Wal Mart here in Pa is the Choice packers. Everything else i buy at BJ'S. YMMV

Here in ohio everything at walmart and kroger is enhanced with up to 12% solution. I work with a guy who farms and he always said that the hams with water in them is legalized thevery. I don't know if I will go quite that far.

I will say that I smoked some ribs for my brother that he bought a kroger that were enhanced. I thought they were a lot tougher than the ribs I get at sams.

I definately do not like the enhanced meat. If that is my only option I will choose to let the bullet sit idle.

Bryan you are lucky. The only place I can find whole packers around here is to order one from local butcher. Prices are reasonable but takes spur of the moment smokes are out.

Jeff I was at a Super Wal-Mart tonight and they had full packers that didn't say enhanced on them for $1.28/lb. I'm North of you but I would think they would carry the same thing down your way.

Cory I don't know if the briskets are enhanced at my walmart because they don't carry them. I asked a guy at one a couple of months back. He said that they didn't carry brisket until someone from texas came in and asked for brisket. He said they started carrying them but they sell as fast as they get them in. I don't know what they do but I am assuming they order 1 at a time. Because I never see them in there. If and when I do see them they are flats. I would say 1 out of 12 times I go to walmart I see brisket.

I usually buy my meat at sams but have gone to walmart to get a butt on occasion. 8 months ago I could buy a butt at walmart that wasn't enhanced. Now they are enhanced. They must have switched suppliers. I don't know when this happened like I said I usually buy at sams. They are a little cheaper and usually have brisket flats.

I don't know if the beef at walmart is enhanced. I remember reading another thread a while back someone saying everything at walmart is enhanced including beef. Like I said none of the walmarts I goto have large cuts that are good for smokin. I buy a side of beef from the farmer I was talking about earlier so I have no need for store bought beef. If I had to go back to store bought ground beef I probobly would not eat another hamburger.

My wife is on the way to walmart I will have her check for briskets just in case they got some in. Thanks Cory

I live in Wal-Mart country....Right here in good ol' Bentonville Arkansas. Even though it's Wal-mart for miles around, Tyson chicken has its headquarters here also. The Wal-marts that I'm familiar with (there are 5 within 30 miles of me) all carry brisket packers with no solution added. They're usually pretty good also. It's pretty much impossible to get a good (smokin') butt or chicken though in the Wal-mart stores (Damned Tyson). Luckily there are a few good independent butchers around. I DO buy my brisket at Wal-Mart and my butts at the butcher. Take care!

Back