Walmart brand charcoal

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I was wondering if the walmart brand charcoal was worth putting in my smoker or not.

Just my opinion, but it's not worth it to me. Rancher and Kingsford have a good enough track record to keep me coming back. They are both as predictable and dependable as briquettes can be so I have no reason to change.

I can't say one way or the other, but I know Wally World generally does not make there "GV-Sam's Choice" brands.

They usaully contract with known companies they do business with to run off basically the same product under Wally's private brand.

Example: Here in Wisconsin Wal Mart has Johnsonville make their "Great value" brats. Same basic product but cheaper because of not having to advertise.

IMHO - I say try the charcoal and see if you like it.

I used the Wally World stuff on my last smoke. It doesn't last as long and there was a lot of ash, but other than that it was pretty good. The temp was pretty much rock solid once it got up.
I hear it differs though. My friend told me they get all of their stuff made by different people. I'd say give it a shot, but have a bag of the dependable stuff nearby just in case.
Oh, and if you are using the brinkman "vault" as I call it, be prepared to go check on it pretty much every hour. That thing is nowhere close to air tight.

We used the Sam's Choice Professional charcoal on our last (also first) smoke on the WSM, and had no problems keeping a constant temperature. The first batch burned at temperature for 10 hours, and we just dropped in about 10 pre-lit coals at around the 10.5 mark. We also use that on our grill, and I like it a lot for that as well. I'd say try it if you want to.

Back