Wait...............I won that auction?

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well goofing around on FleaBay today. Made a bid on a Breville Smart Grinder Pro for a couple $$$ over the 1st bidder (like $5) Fully expecting it would go nowhere. Well I'll be dipped it went to me :D At least a highly rated seller and one that accepts returns. But, only did it as "goofing around" as I really wasn't sure it was anything I wanted.

Oh well, I have the OXO grinder still in it's unopened pkg listed for sale on FleaBay, and when the Breville arrives I will see how I like it. If I like it enough I will sell the other 2 Amazon Chinese grinders. Unload some stuff LOL

Sounds like you got a steal of a deal.
Well they're IIRC $290 grinders on Amazon. And all in I am at a buck and a half. Looks to be in great condition. Owner only upgraded to one with a built in scale for their daily espresso shots. I will definitely report back on it once it's here, I have fully cleaned and "dialed" it in.

Considering that we have an older version of the Breville Smart Grinder..... I am rather interested in your views on it.

Yeah, they had the 800 series. Getting the 820. Do you like it?
I'd have to go turn it over to see the label to see exactly what model we have. In general, yes, we do like it. It's outlasted every other burr grinder we've tried by nearly 10x. The Cuisinart branded burr grinders..... dead in something like 6 months. So, the pile of money we did spend on the Breville has been well justified. We do have a good kitchen scale (used multiple times daily,) to weigh out 100 grams of ground coffee, that's usually a couple of 12 cup runs on it. Only issue is that a few months ago, something was getting caught up in the gear train somewhere and causing the motor to near stall out. I did take it apart as far as I could/dared, and outside of the grinding chamber, all was remarkably clean. I did blow out the burrs with 100psi compressed air, and it's been trouble free since. I did buy the bigger Shardoz and it's sitting on the shelf, to be pressed into service at a moment's notice.

I've read a bit about the Cuisinart brand and in my experience I find it to be true. Their small kitchen appliances are designed to be aesthetically pleasing but are made from cheap materials and generally are inferior in function. Lots of thin brushed stainless and flimsy, cheap black plastic. Looks great on your kitchen counter but terrible at it's task. I've found this to be true with their coffee makers and grinders and other small appliances. Form over function.
Have had good experience with their microwaves...but those are all made by Midea no matter the brand stamped on them.
Their cookware is OK mid level quality stuff too.
I won't buy any of their small electrics again.

I have a small Cuisinart food processor. Looks like someone took one of the large square ones and shrunk it in the drier. Honestly I find it incredibly useful and it does things that are hard to believe that little thing can do. My big ones (my KitchenAid and my mom's quite old Cuisinart) sit in cabinets somewhere unused. That little guy is my go to workhorse. But, it's an older one actually made in Japan not China as the new stuff is. So I am sure that has something to do with it.

Our Kitchenaid food processor has a mini-bowl and blade that fit inside the main bowl. For some things, it's great, but most of my batches use the main bowl.

Our Kitchenaid food processor has a mini-bowl and blade that fit inside the main bowl. For some things, it's great, but most of my batches use the main bowl.
Actually had one of those. Did not like it at all. Sold it then got this huge Cuisinart but it was WAY too big for my needs so my oldest daughter and son in law gave me a smaller KitchenAid one. It's "OK" but nothing to write home about. Stored it away in the basement. Now that dad's moved into assisted living place, I got mom's old Cuisinart. It's a real "tank" for a smaller machine. I can't remember if it is an 11qt or 7qt. It's not more than 11 I know that because the other one I had that was 14qt I gave to my youngest daughter.

I once won a bid by surprise. I was bidding on an item and it exceeded my max bid, so I moved on to another seller for the same item. I won that bid and a couple days later, I won the other bid too. No idea how it happened unless the winner defaulted and it dropped down to me. For me, eBay has always been a last resort. If I need something, I want to just buy it.

Like @JSaus and others, online auctions only rarely. And I the last eBay auction I bid on was 10+ years ago. Trick I found to good deals was looking for typos and other mis-spellings. I got a network card for my LaserJet 4 printer (10Base2 and 10BaseT) for less than 20% of what it should have sold for. I paid, buyer shipped.... and I still have the printer sitting on a storage rack behind me. Can't bring myself to throw it out because it's been such a rock solid printer.

Back