Vortex wings tonight.

CPine

TVWBB Member
Trying out my vortex on some wings. Simple "kicken Chicken" rub and a little cherry chips smoke. I am feeling good about this. We will see what it tastes like!

Attachments

• CD6F55A8-B259-4A2E-8DAD-DCF8F4153F0E.jpeg
    CD6F55A8-B259-4A2E-8DAD-DCF8F4153F0E.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 37
  • F727A13C-0139-4768-AAFB-AADE79101DD3.jpeg
    F727A13C-0139-4768-AAFB-AADE79101DD3.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 37
Suggestion, use a good sized chunk of smoke wood next time, the chips will burn up pretty quickly in a Vortex. Well, they sure do for me.
The wings look great!

How hot did the grill temps hit?
I usually jam as much charcoal in as I can get and have to fight a bit to hold 550 or over with the lid on.
I can't cook them hot enough, more crispy is best for me.

Darryl, how are you setting the thing up? I usually use the leftover coal from the previous cook in the bottom of the Vortex and fill a chimney to maximum capacity and set that in the center of the Vortex and touch that off. When fully engaged, I dump the chimney into the Vortex, it will completely fill the unit! Be careful, the chimney is going to be really hot, Hotter than normal! I get screaming heat off the thing that way. Just my method.

Ditto on the above statement & If I wind up buying a whole wing, I will always discard the wing tip & separate the wingette & the drumette. I believe this will insure cooking evenness.

Yeah, it's similar......I use the left over good sized charcoal chunks in the bottom of the chimney. They seem to be less dense...maybe is the word???
Using JD lump on a 100% of the time basis gets you used to how it functions.....I love the flavor and it lasts a really long time as well.....so after a cook there are good pieces left over as you know, and I find these light up a bit faster in the chimney than raw charcoal....anyways...so left over in the bottom then fill it up and let her get real hot. I put a small layer of raw charcoal in the bottom of the vortex.....in my head at least it creates that smoke profile and gets the vortex nice and full. Mind you it has been over 6 months since I gave it a run but it seems like I had to open it up a bunch and add extra air to it to get it up to searing temps for chicken with skin. Maybe I'm just over the hill and do not remember my last cook well....?
I also find filling up both Weber baskets and setting them to each side with a small foil pan in the middle and lining up the chicken over the pan gets a really nice hot cook going on the kettle.

Do you foil the outer zone? That’s the only other thing I can think of to raise temperature any more. I’ve been using K-pro.

Looking good, how did it turn out?
I love cooking chicken with the vortex.

Sometimes I will do a the little shake & bake thing with a little cornstarch, spices and a bit of avocado oil.
It’s a funny looking cook at first until the white goes away.

It’s been so chilly here that I haven’t done any short cooks for a while only longish smokes.
I can’t wait to break out my vortex again.

Back