vortex + kettle pizza

Dave O (Alaska)

TVWBB Pro
Got my new vortex in the mail today. The instructions said to run a load through before cooking with it, so I did.
I pegged the therm on my OTG in about two minutes. I am thinking that if you were to place the vortex in the back of the
kettle that it may be the perfect heat source for the Kettle Pizza ring that I have. I have always had issues getting the temps I
want with the Kettle Pizza. Has anyone tried using the vortex and Kettle Pizza?

Thanks

DAVE

IMO, not a good idea and wouldn't do it. I have a med. vortex ( and a KP)and I know I can't get it far enough back out from under the pizza stone. You'd overheat your stone and burn crusts. But, of course, I've never tried it. Give it a tray and let us know he results.:cool:

I also have both these toys and have been trying to decide if they can be used together. Like Nate, I worry that I won't be able to get the volcano out from under the pizza stone. I may try just using it to shape the lump around the back side between the vortex and the grill. I know that's not actually "using" the vortex but it's certainly nicer than the cheesy expanded metal "ring" that comes with the KP.

Dave O, your issues with getting the Kettle Pizza hot enough, are you adding enough hardwood to burn?

I used 2 Weber charcoal baskets under the backside of the kettle bowl when using the KP. Worked out great. Temp on the KP thermometer were reaching 700 degrees.

maybe I just need more fuel. I also have a discada on the way the I am going to use for a lid. could even add charcoal to that if necessary.

Back