Visit Orchards...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Spencer

If you have a local orchard, visit them this time of the year!
I'm lucky to have a huge one less than 5 minutes from my house.
I stopped in last week and inquired about fruitwood...apple, peach, cherry etc..and the owner was more than gracious after explaining that I wanted some wood limbs for BBQ smoking.
He said to just drive out in the orchard and pick up what I wanted from the recent trimming and dead fallen limbs in the orchard rows. I was pressed for time, so I threw in peach limbs that were about 2-54 inches in diameter.
I went back to the retail store at the orchard, and he told me $5.00.

Well tonight I sawed up my take, and ended up with a wheel barrow full of tennis ball size chunks of peach wood! These pieces of wood are really dense solid fruitwood.
As I was cutting up the wood on my bandsaw, you could detect the sweet peach/fruity aroma.

I'm definitely going back this week to score some apple wood.

You just can't beat this kind of deal. I'm definitely going to drop off some fresh smoked pulled pork to the orchard owner.

Hi Bryan!

Yep, it's "Cherry Hill Orchard". Have you ever dealt with them? Mr. Haus(sp) has always been very cordial and a nice guy to deal with, in my experience.
I'm going back in the next couple of days to pick up more wood. Heck, it's a great deal. I'm planning on getting enough to chunk up to fill several laundry baskets to last me till next fall.
The stuff I picked up was "not" green, and after cutting it up, will be perfect shortly. Just got to get some apple and cherry.

You ever use peach? Also if you want some of this wood to try out, let me know.

Jeff, was 7/8 of the way there on thurs. Went down to New Danville with wash basket in hand to get cabbage from the Cabbage/Corn wagon guy. Was about 1/2 mile away. $.50 a head for cabbage can't beat it. Taking 10 heads out to SmokeStock. No i have never dealt with them. Yes use peach all the time along with pear,apple cherry and pecan.
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

Ahhhh.....Cabbage....Yes the "Corn Man/Wagon" has some great deals. You just can't beat basket ball size heads of cabbage for 50 cents a head! And they usually have them till Thanksgiving!
I read your inquiry about smoked cabbage, and Keri C's reply.....gotta try that....sounds good.
I've been tempted to try making "kraut' but have never been a big fan of it. Sometimes it's ok, and then other times...well. Maybe some homemade pastami with homemade kraut, and a properly dressed sammich might make me turn the corner?

Don't take it all guys, I want to get some to! I'm not sure if Kauffmans down near Paradise has anything other than apple, or if he will part with it. I'll have to check it out.
Bryan...where do you get all your different wood at. The peacon really has me thinking.

You guys read my mind. I'm going out apple picking this weekend on the North Fork of Long Island.

I was planning to see if I could get some apple but thanks to this post I'll see about getting some peach too!

Thanks guys.

Just got a huge supply of applewood last weekend from an orchard...for free!! If I only had a pick-up truck I would be set for a loooooong time.

BTW, if you are in the Hiram, Ohio area, look up Pioneer Trail Orchard. They have a huge pile of already cut wood to take. It has been down for at least a year so it is well seasoned to boot!!

The first wood I ever used was peach. I'm going to cut the peach tree down in my yard within the next couple of weeks to have wood for next year.

Stopped by the orchard two minutes from my house today and talked to the head guy. He pointed me to a huge pile of peach wood and told me to help myself, also gave me wood of two apple trees he cut down. Told me to come back in November when he does all the pruning and to bring a pickup truck and I can have as much as I can handle. Finally...I luck out.

Got plenty of wood down here in south central FL. With all the hurricanes and downed trees. One just has to drive by and load it up. I got oak, hickory, peach, orange, and some grapefruit. Just drove by places that had those sort of trees and they had stacked it by the road to be picked up sometime in the next month or so. Alot of it was already cut into log size. Just have to split it into small size for the smoker after it dries out more.
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

I went apple picking this past weekend. There were downed limbs here and there, and there were about 12 palette sized boxes 5 feet high full of cut drying wood. Nothing for free..I didn't even ask, because they were rude about everything. BUT, I walked out with 1 piece in my hands and nobody stopped me. When I split it up I got about 25 tennis ball sized chunks. That should do fir a while.

jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back