Vinegar BBQ

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Iv'e heard about vinegar BBQ being a North Carolina specialty, but all google searchs find is vinegar bbq sauce. Are there an actual recipie's or marinades to cook with vinegar? Vinegar BBQ sounds real good to me.

Even though I've only come across the term occasionally, I think it really just means eastern NC-style whole-hog barbecue where vinegar-based sauce is used. I friend brought back some pints of Bullock's from Durham a while back, and it was clear the vinegar sauce had already been added to the product before packaging. The vinegary flavor was noticeable, and bits of red-pepper flakes were mixed throughout the meat. Oddly (to me anyway), this vendor cooks in gas-fired cookers-- no evidence of smoke on the meat whatsoever, but I've read it is one of the more popular in the region.

I always add a little cider vinegar to my chopped barbeque it smoothes out the greasy taste and keeps it from being so dry. The sauces I make all have vinegar, mustard or tomatoe based so each person can choose his own flavor. The Eastern N.C is nothing but vinegar with pepper flakes. Don't forget the hush puppies .

Paul Kirk's sauce book has a bunch of vinegar sauces, mops and marinades. One of my favorite OTC momps/marinades is Chiavettas and it uses vinegar.

Hey guys, check this site out especially posts by Steve Petrone. His no.5 sauce is a good base for jumpimg off and making your own if you wish

North Carolina has different syles. There is the Eastern, the Lexington and some even claim the "piedmont." If you like a sweet red sauce, try equal parts of white vinegar to ketchup, dash in some "Liquid Smoke" and a little brown sugar to sweeten it. Add salt and pepper to taste. It is a sweet, red sauce and compliments the Renoun Mr Brown nicely. Yes, the real Eastern Style of N.C. sauce is mostly cider vinegar with red pepper flakes.

Back