Victory at Last!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello all,
I just wanted to write in and let you guys know that my ribs were basically perfect last week. I used the Minion method for the first time and it made a huge difference in my temperature control. I smoked the ribs using apple wood, and they had an excellent flavor to them. My wife raved, and the ribs dissappeared! I St. Louis cut the spares, and smoked them for six hours. My temp was steady at 226 for most of the smoke. I did fall asleep on the couch and it did spike up to 242 for about an hour or so, but that was fine. I partially closed the vents and brought it down to 230 with no problem.
This is almost too easy! I am planning to do a 9 pound butt on Saturday for a party that I am attending on Sunday. Hopefully I'll be able to make some nice pulled pork sandwiches. I may cook overnight Friday into Saturday, but we'll see. Anyway, happy Qing to all and have a nice holiday!

Derek, Congrats on turning out your perfect ribs. I remember the first time I got the results that made me say, "ok this is what everybody is talking about"!

I have a brisket in the fridge thawing and the local super market has baby back's on sale for 2.99 a pound. I will be smoking this weekend.

Doug W

Way to go! I'm still waiting for that first time when everything turns out. I'm hoping it's Saturday. Congrats again!

Thanks brothers! I really have to say that the difference was the Minion method. I have made great ribs before, but these were above and beyond because I had so much control over my temps. The highest that my WSM got was 250 in he very beginning before I put the ribs on. I had honestly been starting to question my own temperature control ability, because I always seemed to be running hot, and had little luck getting in the 225-240 range. I was always smoking at 245, which isn't really all that bad.
Just a quick question for some of you out there. I used John Willingham's technique for these ribs, basically washing the ribs in vinegar, rubbing them, and letting them sit overnight. I didn't notice any metion of using vinegar in the Let's Cook section. Do many of you try this? Just curious.

How long did you soak your ribs in the vinegar? Was it all vinegar or other things too? Did you remove the membrane as I know Willingham never does? Did you really notice a change in taste? I have heard of competitors using this technique in MIM and also foiling too.

Jeff,
I soaked the ribs in apple cidar vinegar for about 10 min, then I removed them from the vinegar and rubbed them. i put them in the refrigerator overnight and then smoked them the next day. I always remove my membrane, as well as the skirt meat on the backside. I guess the theory behind the vinegar soak is that it opens up the pores of the meat so that the rub has a better affect. It also is supposed to help in breaking down the fibers of the meat during the cooking process. This is all according to Willingham, as I have followed his method. I don't have much to compare it to because I have had such excellent results that I have never tried it without the vinegar. I hope that this helps! Happy Qing!

Derek

Wow only 10 minutes? This is what Willingham does? Seems kind of a short soaking to have any effect. Maybe the overnight with the rub does something also.

Jeff,
I guess that I should point out that I don't wash the vinegar off or dry the ribs off before rubbing them. This ends up being a vinegar/rub combination. It works well for me and I would advise anyone out there to give it a try. Willingham's book was the first barbeque book that I purchased, and it even predates my WSM. I found it to be an extremely helpful book because he explains why he does everything, and the theories behind low and slow. His recipes are excellent, although there aren't tons like in Smoke and Spice. If you are a beginner, looking to learn the fundamentals of barbeque, I would buy this book. If you are more experienced, and believe that your Q is at the top notch, then you might not need the in depth explanations for what a dry rub does or how low and slow actually breaks down the meat. I have used many excellent recipes from this site as well as other sources. I just use his technique as my starting point. I hope this helps clarify the vinegar useage. Happy Qing!

Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back