Very interesting cook in progress

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just a regular 10 pound butt. A few differences this time.

Rubbed much more heavily this time...still trying to get a better bark. So I rubbed, mustarded, and rubbed again. It was thick.

I use sand in the pan. I just filled it up with new sand, and almost filled the pan up, more than 3/4 full. Looks like this is slowing me down considerably.

Threw it on last night near ten pm, using the minion method. Went to sleep. Woke up around seven to a heavy rain. Hmmm..my first q dealing with a long steady rain!

Went out and found the temps in good shape. Opened the vents a little and stirred the coals.
Still plenty of fuel left and temps spiked up to 300 after the stirring so I closed the vents.

However, the meat temp was only 160 after almost ten hours on the wsm. another couple of hours revealed I was in the plateau. Temps have started rising and everything looks good. Basting with ac-vin and cheerwine mixture.

The question is....did the sand or the rain or something else slow this cook down? It doesn't bother me that it's taking longer than usual, but I'm worried that the butt may be dried out.

Will let you know how it comes out.

All butts are not created equal. A rule of thumb is 1 1/2 hours per pound but some are quicker and some are slower. The sand and rain did not hurt you since it appears your temps are runnign just fine. You might speed things up by foiling that pig. Watch your temps because they can rise rather fast as your approach 185.

I put on a 16 1/2 chuck roll at 7:00am this morning. Kind of doing it like your butt. Much more spices than normal. Did mustard, rub and black pepper last night, put more rub on this morning when I put it on and plan to dump some spicy mop on approx 165 and foil. Plan to take off at 195 internal. We will see.

Nice and sunny in Oregon today, maybe 90 degrees, already made a trip to Starbucks in convertible with top down. Swimming pool at 90 and lots of cold Mr. Frostys in Frig. Life is good.

Just foiled it before I read your post. Ok, I'm trying to maintain patience........maintain.....do not heat up oven........patience....

Jim...

I think that the rain probably did hurt and slow your times. I have cooked in rain a bunch and my temps always seem fine, butttttt...every time I noticed an increase in my cooking times. Not sure.

Anyway, I always plan on 2 hrs./lb. at 225?, but, as Dennis said, all butts are not equal. I had to cook my 8 butts(4/cooker) for close to 3hrs./lb. last week and again, rain was in the air!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back