Veal Breast

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Question from a newbie -

Has anyone smoked a breast of veal ?

Picked one up with a recipe in mind, but I'm considering smoking this along with the salmon on the bullet.

Surprised to see no recipes -- any guidance here ?

Thanks much !

I've never smoked a veal breast, but if you are going to smoke one, I would not do it with the salmon in the smoker at the same time. Your veal will likely pick up the salmon odor. Do the veal first and the salmon second. Then I would rinse out the smoker so the next smoke won't pick up the odor of the salmon. The veal breast sounds like it would be a tasty meal. Post the results.

Jeff,

I've cooked them three times. The breast can be a huge hunk of meat, so alot depends on the weight and size. It's filled with fat anf tendons, so I thought it would be perfect for Barbeque. Most , if not all of he standard recipes call for cooking it in a low oven similar to short ribs or pot roast.

I rubbed mine ( about 9 pounds) and cooked it @ 225 or so for about 4 hours , turning once. I then wrapped it in foil and added a sauce ( a carribean thing from one of Chris Schlessinger's books,... Orange juice, cilantro, molasses etc), and had to cook it another 4 hours.

It's a great and unrecognized piece of meat. It is not meant to be eaten from the bone though. The final product is flavorful and more tender than stew meat....you need to cut the lean off the bone and tendons.

Veal is subtle in flavor and texture, so I didn't use standard high-intensity rubs , afraid that it would end up tasting like butt. But, I'd treat it more like fish than pork when deceiding to season.
For the same reason, I would nix the idea of cooking it with Salmon, unless you add the Salmon after it's wrapped.
If you need it, let me know and I'll dig out that Carribean mop recipe.

Good luck.

WILL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back