Valve Stem Spins 360 - Genesis 1000

John-NY

TVWBB Super Fan
I know about the “How to Clean” valves thread, and I’ve successfully done so with Summit 400/600 valves, but I could never get the screws out on the other Genesis 1000 I tried to clean.

This valve stem on this grill spins both clockwise and counter clockwise 360 degrees and keeps spinning.

Before I try to get it open (and possibly fail due to those darn screws) could someone (Larry? 😃) explain to me what is causing this inside the valve, or if this can even be fixed by taking it apart? Or has something simply been sheared inside of it?

Thanks!

Does that valve still push up and down with tension? The spring inside the valve may have broken or deteriorated. I always have a hard time with those little screws too.

Perhaps spring internally is broken. Or so much dirt/grease and buildup under the cover. Try carefully to remove the screws with a REALLY quality screwdriver. Failing that, get yourself some Marvel Mystery oil and some regular old cheap auto trans fluid. mix 50/50. Put a drop MAYBE 2 on the stem. Then work it. Report back

Thanks Steve & Larry, I’ll try to take a look at it this week sometime. That makes sense with it being a spring if that’s the root cause. Thanks Steve, I’ll reach out if I need one!

Back