Vacuuming pulled pork

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It's midnight. I just finished stuffing 8 pounds of pulled pork into a variety of vacuum sealed bags using my new FoodSaver.

Couple of questions:

1. Do you put the BBQ sauce on the pork now? Or later when you reheat it. I'm using Carolina Red.

2. What are the reheating options? My guests coming tomorrow from Easter unfortunately won't smell the cooker (unless the coals are still going). My current plan is to throw some of the pulled pork into a Dutch Oven, add some BBQ sauce and bring up to temperature.

Any ideas? This is the first time my butts "go live"--I want 'em tasting great!

Scott

I would wait to sauce it after reheating. You might want to lightly sprinkle and mix in a little rub before sealing-- kind of gets some rub flavor to parts previously unexposed to it. Reheat gently, in any way you feel won't dry it out-- I usually just drop the (thawed) sealed bag in boiling water a few minutes.

I usually put the bags into a pan of cool water and slowly bring it to a boil. By the time the water starts to boil, the pork is hot through the center. If it's a large bag of pork, I hold the water at a simmer for 15 minutes to heat through. Be careful boiling for extended periods. The bags will break down. I know this :-(

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ed Jones:
[qb] I usually put the bags into a pan of cool water and slowly bring it to a boil. By the time the water starts to boil, the pork is hot through the center. If it's a large bag of pork, I hold the water at a simmer for 15 minutes to heat through. Be careful boiling for extended periods. The bags will break down. I know this :-( [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Excellent tip for the larger quantities. We usually vacuum seal in portion size bags, which end up being several, because somebody /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif always BBQs like there's 20 people living here.

I've had much better luck steaming the bags than boiling. I personally find some moisture added before freezing improves the product and I've frozen hundreds of pounds of pork in vacuum bags.

Teddy Bear,

Could you tell me more what you do to add for moisture to a 1 lb bag of pulled pork you are freezing. A few drops of water. a teaspoon do you mix it in first then put it in the bag.

I picked up a demi vacum sealer about 8 years ago but the foodsaver is right up there on my short list of things I want.

Even with the Demi unit I stillexperience some freezer burn. Will this diminish when I get the food saver?

Every so often I get a bag that loses it vacuum for whatever reason. Could be bones, pinholes from scraping against other frozen items, bad kharma... I either reseal in a new bag if I catch it in time, or just thaw and use it ASAP.

Tom,

Couple spritzes of apple juice will add moisture.
When I reheat, I usually place pork in aluminum foil, spritz with apple juice and reheat in 225-250 oven for 45 minutes or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back