Vacuum Sealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregg Reavis

TVWBB Member
Do many people use the vacuum sealer? Does it work significantly better than a ziploc bag or wrapping in foil and a ziploc bag? Given the expense, I just wanted to determine if it's worth the investment.

Hi, Gregg, and welcome!

It's one of those things....once you have it, you will wonder how you ever got along without it!

After sealing everything in site for the first month..I now only seal solids that I will be freezing. Subsequently, my bag expense has gone way down!

If you are BBQing, you NEED a sealer..simple as that. Many of the meats we cook are large roasts..butts, picnics, briskets, chuck roasts, etc...and you will end up with many leftovers. Sealing, freezing and then re-heating by boiling in the bag is the best way to do it.

Now, if you are simply holding the food for a couple of days in the fridge, then I personally feel there is no need for a vacuum sealer. Again, experience taught me this. To be constantly opening and re-sealing for 2 or 3 days, to me, is a waste of bags.

Anyway, whatever you do, welcome and have fun!

Greg,

I agree with Kevin, I got my Foodsaver 550 in January and whenever I do pork butt or brisket there are plenty of leftovers which I vac-pack for another day and time, when I don't have time to fire up the WSM but really want some BBQ.

IMHO well worth the investment. Bags are pricey, however, Foodsaver also makes the Kenmore brand and the Sears bags work with the foodsaver and they are cheaper.

I just got my sealer two or so weeks ago and it's already been invaluable. Of course, having it leads me to make MORE meat than I need just so I can use it, but, dammit, that's ok too and I'm not ashmed /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

I highly recommend getting a nice model. It's just my wife and I so even when we cook normal stuff we often cook too much and she hates leftovers right away, so I now can freeze them and pull them out for quick dinners when I need.

High recommendation on the sealer.

It's very nice for those of us who like to cook more than needed to give away to friends. You know when they reheat it they won't be drying out the meat. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Rich

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like a necessary item. I noted some comments at Amazon. Do you find that you have to freeze your barbecue first, or do you just slip a paper towel in with it?

Gregg...

No need to slip paper towel in or freeze first. The meat is moist but not enough to get sucked into the motor.

I only use paper towel when sealing steaks with olive oil on them. A GREAT way to prepare the steaks.......rub down with olive oil, apply garlic and your favorite rub, then more olive oil. Seal and refrigerate for 4 days. Then cook. Will tenderize those sometimnes tough NY strips.

Usually just a slip a paper towel in with it. Actually only about a third sheet or so. Just enough to stop any juices from entering the vacuum chamber. As you start the vacuum and the air is sucked out you can see any juices working their way up.

When freezing berries or liquid or semi-liquid stuff (soup, spaghetti sauce) you need to freeze it first.

Okay, this is my last question on this topic. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
It appears that most have the Tilia FoodSaver and their prices don't seem too bad. Is there a particular model or features that are better than others? Is the 550, 750, 1050, ProII a better deal than the others? Is there something about the one you're using now that you wish was different or think another model would work better?

Gregg,

They all use the same motor, so it comes down to the extra's. How many canisters, wine corks, etc. Some of the lower models don't have the manual sealer, but they still work very good.

Many like the Pro models because of the built in bag cutter and other features not included with the others. The Pro models are "generally" an extra hundred dollars or so.

Check out eBay before you buy..they sell re-conditioned ones that are like new.

Go here and click on Appliance Feature Comparison......

Foodsaver Features

Some suggestions: Amazon is giving a $20 gift certificate, good towards future purchases, with a $99+ purchase in the kitchen store, thru 4/23. Free shipping, too.

Also check QVC-- you may have to dig around a bit-- but they usually have Tilia sealers with more accessories included than other sources. Important to remember that not all 550 models, for example, are created equal when it comes to what you get with them.

Sam's Club has a 750 with a lot of accessories, and they sell bags in a pack containing 3 rolls and 1 or 2 dozen pre-cut bags for $29.95.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back