Using WSM 18” charcoal chamber in Summit Kamado for smoking

Gary Spencer

I saw a few youtube videos that suggested lighting the charcoal off center on the Kamado because the grills tended to burn from one side to the other when set up for smoking. Using Kingsford Blue i noticed the same thing as well as the fire not moving from the center to all the charcoal when the Kamado was set for low and slow (225 to 250).

After puzzling over this for a while i decided to try using the Charcoal Chamber from my 18” WSM (the charcoal chamber for my 22” WSM is to big around) and it worked like a charm. Temperature very easy to control and results even heat all the way around. It might even mitigate the hot zone around the outside diameter of the Kamado because the charcoal is completely contained under the solid part of the diffuser plate.

I have been grilling on my Weber kettles for years, but i am just getting into smoking meat. I wanted to share this to see what the folks who really know what they are doing thought of it.

I saw a few youtube videos that suggested lighting the charcoal off center on the Kamado because the grills tended to burn from one side to the other when set up for smoking. Using Kingsford Blue i noticed the same thing as well as the fire not moving from the center to all the charcoal when the Kamado was set for low and slow (225 to 250).

After puzzling over this for a while i decided to try using the Charcoal Chamber from my 18” WSM (the charcoal chamber for my 22” WSM is to big around) and it worked like a charm. Temperature very easy to control and results even heat all the way around. It might even mitigate the hot zone around the outside diameter of the Kamado because the charcoal is completely contained under the solid part of the diffuser plate.

I have been grilling on my Weber kettles for years, but i am just getting into smoking meat. I wanted to share this to see what the folks who really know what they are doing thought of it.
You’re spot on in that the E/S6 cook better when the fuel is more densely packed than just on the coal grates. And your solution is a solid fix too.

Welcome to the ‘hood. There’s a bunch of us Summit Charcoal/Kamado owners here.

Gary.....I've used the 18" WSM ring on my last few smokes on the Kamado as well. Seems like it was made for it :) . I light it using Minion method just like lighting the WSM.
I did see some things about the Kamado burning in one direction but I understood it to be the cookers with the snap-jet gas lighter. I have that feature but really haven't noticed any directional patterns.

I did see some things about the Kamado burning in one direction but I understood it to be the cookers with the snap-jet gas lighter. I have that feature but really haven't noticed any directional patterns.
I have the E6, which doesn't have an igniter, and it definitely burns in one direction — toward the 4-o'clock area.

Thank you for your replies. It worked fine for me and I’m glad to hear it worked for another member as well.

Last edited:
I just took delivery of a new WSK. Haven't done a thing with it yet but make a couple measurements. It looks like it's about 4.625" from the bottom charcoal grate to where the deflector mounts. I liked the idea of using the 18" WSM charcoal ring but that's 4.75" high - how are you guys making it fit?
Thanks.

I just took delivery of a new WSK. Haven't done a thing with it yet but make a couple measurements. It looks like it's about 4.625" from the bottom charcoal grate to where the deflector mounts. I liked the idea of using the 18" WSM charcoal ring but that's 4.75" high - how are you guys making it fit?
Thanks.
The deflector plate will sit on the charcoal chamber instead. Works great.

Thanks! And if I measured correctly it looks like the ring will fit between the middle shelf and top grate for grilling, can you confirm?

Hopefully these pictures will answer some of the questions posted previously.

Attachments

• IMG_0789.jpeg
    IMG_0789.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0790.jpeg
    IMG_0790.jpeg
    266.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0791.jpeg
    IMG_0791.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0792.jpeg
    IMG_0792.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 16
My previous post shows the adjustable fuel grate in the lower position. These pics show the adjustable fuel grate in the middle position.

With the adjustable fuel grate right side up the WSM charcoal chamber will hold the top grate about 1/4 inch above the ledge where it is supposed to rest. Reference the two pics on the right..

With the adjustable fuel grate upside town and WSM Charcoal chamber correctly positioned the top grate site just sits the ledge where it is supposed to rest. Reference the two pics on the left.

Attachments

• IMG_0793.jpeg
    IMG_0793.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0794.jpeg
    IMG_0794.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0795.jpeg
    IMG_0795.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0796.jpeg
    IMG_0796.jpeg
    300.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Perfect explanation, thank you very much. Just did the initial burn-in tonight and liked the way it responds to vent changes. Need to get some ribs on this weekend!

Back