Using Wood Pellets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Vrobel

TVWBB Member
I was at a WalMart yesterday that had a lot of the BBQers Delight pellets on sale, so I bought a bunch (two sampler packs and two 1lb packs each of apple, cherry, and black walnut wood.)

I'm planning on trying them in both my WSM and new Weber Genesis gas grill. I figure I'll use them more in the gas grill, since the WSM has always worked fine with wood chunks.

Has anyone else used them in their grill or on the WSM? Experiences, good or bad? Any tricks or tips?

They can work fine, make a packet out of double layers of foil and punch a few wholes in the top.
Place on the charcoal.
jim

They have some great flavors and Candy and folks are great! Go to their web site and check 'em out.

Hi Mike,
I've used the pellets for some time now. They are nice for certain types of wood that are otherwise unavailable. I do follow their directions and have never been disappointed. I use a tuna can with foil wrapped across the top, and one toothpick hole in it. I use 1/3 cup of pellets per smoke. I have used it in my WSM and my CookShack Smokette. I have used it in my kettle while grilling hamburgers, but usually just throw some onto the charcoal since the cooking time is so short. Good Stuff.

I've been using 2 cups of hickory chips (soaked) on my Weber Genesis gas grill in a foil pan, or sometimes in a foil packet with holes punched in the top. I have to say, I get hardly any smoke flavor in my foods, especially short-cooked foods like seafood.

I really wanted to jazz up some pizza I was grilling a few days ago, but there was so little smoke flavor that it didn't seem worth the trouble. The pizza was great, but a little wood smoke would have made it even better.

Would 1/3 cup of pellets give a stronger smoke flavor than, say, 2 cups of soaked chips?

Would they be a better choice for foods that aren't on the grill for long, such as pizza or fish?

Thanks,
Rita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back