Using two racks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony G.

TVWBB Super Fan
If I used both racks for smoking (example: 4 pork butts- 2 on each rack), would I have to rotate the meat from one rack to the other?

Also, what is the guideline for deciding which cut of meat goes where? Would the thicker cut go on the bottom? Does the type matter? (Beef vs Pork)

Kinda new at this, so be gentle...sol
Thanks in advance.

Consider that the top rack is usually several degrees warmer than the bottom. Therefore, larger cuts should go on top if you want to have everything finish about the same time. If all cuts are the same size, rotating top to bottom mid-cook will help even things out, again with the aim of a concurrent finish.

I have now prepared four pork butts at a time twice and with my extraordinary depth of experience....

Frankly, when I took a look at them after about 10-12 hours of smoking, I didn't have the heart to touch them. They were too beautiful. I did place the largest of the cuts on the top rack, although I don't think it made very much difference.

They all turned out splendidly.

If you plan to do beef brisket and pork butt together, put the pork on the top.
This will baste the brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
Doug, would it stand to reason that if sand is in the pan that the bottom is as hot or hotter than the top? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A valid observation. At some point in a cook using sand, chances are good it will become an undesirable radiator of heat-- beyond just being simply warmer than the top grate. And one of the reasons I personally have never embraced sand as a heatsink. I still prefer to think that water is the substance most conducive to maintaining a static thermal environment within the WSM.

Doug,.....I'm assuming the bottom rack is usually the cooler one because it is closer to the water pan...is this correct? Being a newbie, I feel "closer to the fire" means hotter! I'm a little confused.

Althought the opposite-- for reasons unknown-- has been observed from time to time, temperature measurements at the top grate typically run 10-15 degrees higher than at the bottom grate, and 10-15 cooler than those taken at the dome. It's just a matter of heat rising, and the water-filled pan acting as a heat shield even though the lower grate is physically closer to the fire.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
Althought the opposite-- for reasons unknown-- has been observed from time to time, temperature measurements at the top grate typically run 10-15 degrees higher than at the bottom grate, and 10-15 cooler than those taken at the dome. It's just a matter of heat rising, and the water-filled pan acting as a heat shield even though the lower grate is physically closer to the fire. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just assumed ( no joke) that heat rises and gathers at the dome. Therefore, hotter at the top. The water is a heat sink, absorbing the heat from the fire below. It can't be hotter than the surrounding area. Now sand....good argument. It should hold the heat longer than water if exposed to a temp spike.

I have no point...apparently I couldn't ague my way out of a cardboard box.

Jeff

I have cooked 4 butts at a time on at least 10 occasions. Many times the bottom butts finished first, HOWEVER, I discovered this happens if you let the water pan run out of water. The last time I cooked 4 butts, I made sure to keep the water pan adequately supplied, and the bottom butts did not finish first. I will make sure the keep water in the pan from now on.

It would seem best to rotate stock from bottom to top during the cook, but I usually don't. I look closely at each butt and try to load them evenly in the WSM (equal weight for both racks).

Also, I make sure to flip them at least once during the cook and I don't bother basting. Make sure that you have some clearance between the butts on each grate (I shoot for at least 1").

p.s. I use the standard WSM water pan.

On the subject of butts and flipping them, I concur that it is a good idea and I try to do it once during a cook which for me is always an overnighter. I usually flip in the a.m. and on occasion I've found the butts sticking to the grate and a resulting tearing of the meat. I now take a long handle spatula and work it under the butt to free it up before I lift it with my gloves to flip. If you have a spatula with a little flex, it's easier to get it under the butt.

No charge for this pricless tip ! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back