Using Lump in a 22.5" WSM

Robert V

TVWBB Member
To date, I've just been using KBB in my WSMs. I'm thinking about starting to use lump (Royal Oak) and wanted to get an idea of how long, if packed in good, does a full ring of lump last if using a guru or a stoker? What is the best method to add the lump to the ring (dump in and shake ring or hand pack pieces in)? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

To date, I've just been using KBB in my WSMs. I'm thinking about starting to use lump (Royal Oak) and wanted to get an idea of how long, if packed in good, does a full ring of lump last if using a guru or a stoker? What is the best method to add the lump to the ring (dump in and shake ring or hand pack pieces in)? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

I have the old 18" and use an Auber.
I used Wicked Good packed tight (fill up about a 1/3, rock the base, repeat another 2x).
I started my fire with about 6 lit TJ's Briquettes and placed them on the side of the ring opposite the fan so that fan drew the fire towards itself.
I cooked a butt overnight that went 18 hours.
After I shut it down, I still had enough unused in there to do 2 or 3 cooks on the Performer.

Back