Using a S-470 as a built-in - any issues?

DaveDeSimone

Hello - I am new here, so if this is not the correct location for this post, please let me know.

I purchased a house that has a S-460 (7260001) built into an outside patio area and according to the "AT" serial number, it is 2013 model. The grill has seen some better days and I was looking to either fix it up or replace it. The problem that I have found is that the S-460 has increased in width since 2013. The installed one measures just under 32 inch wide and the current models available are showing a width of 34 inch.

I went to the store today and found a S-470, which per the measurements, appears to fit the space that I need. It looks almost identical to the current S-460 model that I have built in.

On Weber's site, they say "The only models that are designed to be built-in are the Summit S-460 and the S-660."

My current plan is to purchase the S-470 and just slide it into the space being that dimensions look correct. Assuming all dimensions and everything work, are there any reasons why the S-470 cannot be used as a "built in"? Am I missing something from a safety or heat standpoint that the S-460 has that the S-470 does not?

Also, the S-470 has side burners attached the grill. My plan here would be to not put on the shelves because it will not fit the space with them on the grill.

This is one of those situations where I am trying to make something work with the space that I have available to me without having to cut granite or stone to make room. I have priced out replacing parts on the current model but it would almost be around $1600+ and figured why not just purchase a new grill, if I can make it fit.

Thanks for any help.

I really don't see any heat or safety issues with putting a mobile grill into a built in slot.

Is it a Summit that you currently have installed or is it a Genesis. Also, will the replacement be a Genesis or Summit? Just interested. I assume that per your quote for replacement parts they are Summits.

I really don't see any heat or safety issues with putting a mobile grill into a built in slot.

Is it a Summit that you currently have installed or is it a Genesis. Also, will the replacement be a Genesis or Summit? Just interested. I assume that per your quote for replacement parts they are Summits.
Thanks for the response. It is a Summit now and will be replaced with a Summit.

I have a Summit NG 650 that I installed in 2009 in my current house and it works just fine. I took the shelves off and sold them. The only way you can tell it's not a built in is the wheels at the bottom and the 4" of space between the bottom of the grill and the floor. Other than that, it works great.

Hello - I am new here, so if this is not the correct location for this post, please let me know.

I purchased a house that has a S-460 (7260001) built into an outside patio area and according to the "AT" serial number, it is 2013 model. The grill has seen some better days and I was looking to either fix it up or replace it. The problem that I have found is that the S-460 has increased in width since 2013. The installed one measures just under 32 inch wide and the current models available are showing a width of 34 inch.

I went to the store today and found a S-470, which per the measurements, appears to fit the space that I need. It looks almost identical to the current S-460 model that I have built in.

On Weber's site, they say "The only models that are designed to be built-in are the Summit S-460 and the S-660."

My current plan is to purchase the S-470 and just slide it into the space being that dimensions look correct. Assuming all dimensions and everything work, are there any reasons why the S-470 cannot be used as a "built in"? Am I missing something from a safety or heat standpoint that the S-460 has that the S-470 does not?

Also, the S-470 has side burners attached the grill. My plan here would be to not put on the shelves because it will not fit the space with them on the grill.

This is one of those situations where I am trying to make something work with the space that I have available to me without having to cut granite or stone to make room. I have priced out replacing parts on the current model but it would almost be around $1600+ and figured why not just purchase a new grill, if I can make it fit.

Thanks for any help.
Please post some photos of outside and inside. You may also qualify for free parts under warranty. Check your serial # if you can find it and try registering it with Weber.

Back