Using a rotisserie

Just would like to know is it really that horrible using the rotisserie with vertical burners. There must be some positives using it

Just would like to know is it really that horrible using the rotisserie with vertical burners. There must be some positives using it

I don't know. Define "horrible". I can tell you when I got my Summit it was with the intention of replacing my Genesis (never dreamed of multiple grills back then LOL). I already had the rotisserie (same one fit both the Genesis and Summit 450. So I was all eager to see how my new Summit would work. Slapped the rotisserie on it, tried a roast. Results? Disappointing. Thinking it was just me having a bad cook day, I got a chicken. Again, disappointing results. Over cooked ends raw center in comparison.
Was sure glad I didn't get rid of that old Red Head after all for that fancy Summit. So yes my results were VERY disappointing. Definitely glad I did not waste the money for another rotisserie also. Convinced wife we NEEDED 2 grills and that was the start of becoming a multi grill family,
So bottom line. Maybe I am too picky? But after eating results from the Genesis and comparing it to results off the Summit, I knew there is no way vertical burners would work

Thanks for your insights and help I really don’t have an option to return the rotisserie because as I mentioned the store only sells rotisserie related things I can try the side to side method and not being a A rotisserie gourmet cook I’ll stick with what I have and see how it comes out I did read a lot of reviews on different rotisserie kids and Tons of people have had very positive results and posted very positive reviews of using a rotisserie on regular barbecues thanks again

I am sure the actual mechanicals will work fine. Doing what I suggested on how you skewer will work fine but you will find yourself limited by size constraints and the height of the lid. My guess is a small chicken will be about the largest thing you can put in there like that.

I have a rotisserie for my Genesis. (East & west burners) I cooked a Thanksgiving Turkey that turned out very well. My biggest complaint is the distance from rotisserie to the burners is too close. Everything I've cooked on it has turned out awesome!

It depends on your Genesis. If you have the deep box it's decent if you have the shallow box version it can be a little "tight" but remember they also have to plan for the 85th percentile and turkey is not in the 85th percentile for meats cooked. My guess would be roast beef and chicken far out number dead buzzards. Many folks like myself don't really care for them. So I would bet beef roasts come in number 1, chickens 2, leg of lamb 3 and turkey a distant 4 so when using it for the most common types of meat the burners are not too close

Thanks and will post how my “first time” turned out. Might try a chicken this weekend. Just have to decide if I skewer the bird through the sides or just use regular method.

Back