Use of the lower rack for BRITU.

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have had great success with the BRITU recipe and procedure from this site. I wish I could take credit for all of the glowing reviews I have recieved but instead I refer everyone to this site. Thanks Chris!

I have always used the top rack when smoking anything. I am having a huge family reunion this Saturday that I am smoking ribs for. I will have to use both racks to accomodate the 6 racks of ribs. My concern is that having the meat close to the water pan will result in "steaming" of the meat, saturating it with water. Is this true? Any warnings or precautions when using the lower rack?

Thanks everyone.
Steve
Aloha OR

Hi Steve..

I wouldn't worry at all about the lower rack steam effect. I have never noticed a difference in taste. Besides, it is really the same environment that you have been cooking in on the top rack...just a little closer to the source.

As far as precautions...

The lower rack will be slightly cooler so keep that in mind.
Not sure if you use the Minion method for starting, but I would suggest using a modified Minion Method when starting with this amount of meat.........instead of 15-20 coals, I would use 1/4 - 1/2 charcoal chimney...The more meat, the bigger fire you'll need to cook it. If you live in a cool climate I would lean towards the 1/2. It is around the mid 40's here, so I would be using 1/2 a chimney if I were cooking that much meat.
Finally, I would build in a 2 hour window of extra time. When you are servicing the ribs you will need to dismantle to some degree and it will add extra time to your cook. If you get done early, simply wrap tight in foil and then again in towel and into the ice chest. Ribs will stay warm a good 2 hours.

Enjoy and have fun!!

Steve,
I've done BRITU ribs on my WSM more than a few times, using both grates, and have never had a problem with the ribs on the lower rack.

A few things you may want to consider. If you don't have them already, get some rib racks. I personally believe they're better for smoking ribs than laying them flat on the grates. One of the things I do with ribs is to swap the racks on the grates when turning and basting the ribs. Bring the lower ribs to the top grate, and the ones that started on the top grate down to the lower grate. It may be nothing, but I feel it evens things out, owing to the temp difference of the upper and lower grates.

Just food for thought...

Peace. Out.

Alan

When I load up with B-backs I usually do 9 racks and I roll em. I'll put the thicker meatier racks on the top where the higher temp is and the smaller ones on the bottom.
That is where they stay for the duration.
I do flip them about the 4 hr mark when I change water and start sprayin/basting.
They usually finish up at the saame time.

Thanks. I feel more confident about this now. I was unable to locate any rib racks so I will have to roll them. Am I right to be concerned about laying them flat on the bottom grill? This steam thing is killing me /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Steve

Steve
If you check out the many different cooker and how they designed you will find that more use water as a heat control. All the bullet styles, many offset, cookers like JR's and Langs, pellet feeders like Treager.
If you go back in history when folks would cook in the ground, wet material would p be placed in with the meat to help control temps and keep the cover material from burning.
Ribs cooked on the top or bottom grate will not effect flavor so as you could notice it.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve G:
[qb]Thanks. I feel more confident about this now. I was unable to locate any rib racks so I will have to roll them. Am I right to be concerned about laying them flat on the bottom grill? This steam thing is killing me /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Steve[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The thing you have to be concerned about when laying them flat is getting them too close to the edges. Also you would have to cut the slabs to fit them in, thus leaving more end pieces. The end ribs tend to dry out more.
Using the rolling technique solves all this.
You bring the ends together tightly by tieing
them together in two places with butchers twine almost eliminating crispy ends. Some people skewer the ends together but I think tieing keeps the ends more moist.
At the same time, you can fit up to 4 full racks on each grate leaving at least 2" space (preferably more) between the meat and the edge of the cooker. You can fit way more ribs
rolling than laying flat on the grate.

Thanks guys. Everything worked out all right. I used 50% Kingsford and 50% oak lump charcoal to keep the temp up to 250. I've had issues in the past with keeping a pure Kingsford burn up to temp.

Steve

Steve
If charcoal briquets get moisture in them they will not put out the temps you are use to getting.
Keeping the moisture out can be a problem
out here in the Pacific NW.
Jim

One of the better competition cooks here in the Northwest told me that she has cooked 10 racks of ribs on a WSM. She uses rib racks and lays a slab on top of the racked ribs. I'm sure that she rotates the meat to get even smoke penetration. The "she" is Judy Anderson from the competition team of Madd Momma and the Kid.
Smokin in the rain
Jack

Hey Jim, Actually I first noticed my temp problems with the "New and Improved" Kingsford this summer. Never had a problem until then. I understand moisture can be an issue, but it should be minimal in the summer with a fresh bag of Kingsford. I don't know if it was a bad batch or what. I'm thinking of a seperate post for this. Anyone else have this issue? I'm perfectly happy to chalk it up to my batch if no one else has experienced this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back