use of regular beer cans?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,

I've got a general question about using regular, cut open beer cans for beer can chicken:

Since they are lined with plastic to prevent direct contact of the metal with its contents I fear that the fumes coming from heating the can in the WSM could be a health issue.

Anybody know anything about that?

What alternatives do you use (besides the Weber Poultry Holder)?
-
Thanks, Phil

I used a can of regular Bud and it ROCKED! Don't know about the plastic. The only help I can offer is to tell you to try it! Best chicken I have EVER had!!

I don't cut the can. Just pop the top, leave half of your favorite liquid. Most use beer, I use apple juice with garlic, salt, and cracked pepper. Works out great.

My parents heard the same story so they hooked me up with the webber roaster. The beer goes in side the roaster with no fear of metal or plastic going in your chicken. Here is a picture of the roaster and where the beer goes. The chicken turns out great either way.
Cnv0071.jpg

Well if there is anything to your concernsthey present the best argument for doing Beercan chicken on the WSM. Because the WSM operates at a lower temprature I would think while the plastic might mest it would only melt into the can and the beer not actually burn and vaporize. I supose one could exepriment by doing a beer can chicken on the WSM and then cutting the can up after the cook and inspecting the inside after removing the liquid.

I have also heard similar concerns about the paint on the beer cans and read articles but I figure I don't eat the inside of the Chicken. Nonetheless its an intersting concern.

Those beercan chicken devices look interesting and seem to address both issues. Just so there not teflon coated???? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I still maintain beer can chciken is better on a Weber kettle than the WSM but if anyone can give me some tecnique tips I'm all ears!!

I actually prefer to make them on my 22 1/2" Kettle vs the WSM as well. Just seems to come out better. I pile a full chimney of lit coals to one side, drip pan on the other side. Leave all the vents open and let it rip. Usually an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half it's done. Much faster then cooking on the WSM. Plus I always seem to have problems cooking at higher temps on the WSM. I've tried several times. Even using the techniques suggested on the website and still can't seem to get over 300f.
But it does still turn out good. Just seem's better on the kettle IMO.

Some advised me to use a Soup can when I tried it. It's more sturdy and there is no lining or paint on the can once you take the label off. Worked well for me.

Here are two beer butt birds I have done on the WSM. This is how I cooked them. Indirect cooking using 25 to 30 Kingsford on each side. Stabilized the grill at 350* and put the birds on. Checked for doneness after 1.5 hours. I used the basic barbecue rub out of Steven Raichlen's book How to Grill and they turned out great. I also used apple and cherry chips. I also moved the ring up to the lower grate. Ya I know this is grilling/smoking, but the bird did'nt know.
Cnv0023.jpg
Cnv0041.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back