USDA finally drops pork to 145

I stopped over cooking pork a long long time ago. Been pulling between 135-140 for years.

USDA has actually been saying 145 (and below) is safe for years in their trich safety tables:

Kill Temps for Trich

Here's the same for poultry:

Poultry Table

Just be careful to check throughout and use a reliable therm (thermocouple type).

Obviously there's a temp window where it will actually be edible/palatable though. That's the target I'm after
icon_biggrin.gif

Growing up I hated to eat pork chops because the chops I knew were horrible. One day I was over at my uncle's house at he was making chops. I said, no thanks I will fix something else. He went ahead and made an extra one for me, so I said I'd try it. First bite was like something I never had before. I asked him, what do you do differently? He said, that whole 160 degrees thing is BS. Since then I pork chops been one of my favorite meats.

Josh, almost similar story for me. And another associated with poultry.

My best example is with my 85 year old Italian MIL. She's an awesome lady who grew up poor. They raised their own chickens and pigs for personal use.

She's a great cook, but makes specific things a specific way. She doesn't experiment all that much without some coaxing.

Now I have had my extended "in law" family over for dinner over the 30 years of marriage as well as brought my own stuff to their houses and cooked for them many, many times.

It never fails that when I do a pork dish (there have been many) she will ask me how I get the pork to be so tender and tasty. Of course there's marinade, rub, coatings, glazes, general prep depending on the dish/presentation - but inadvertently I tell her I just don't overcook it.

I remember telling her that I pull say the whole loin at a general internal temp from 135-140 to let it set and come up to 145-150. They kind of snicker that I bring the thermocouple with me
icon_smile.gif

She gets a scared look on her face and I have to explain the whole thing to her. It's been ingrained in folks for years and they can become fearful when they hear the lower temps.

My FIL always tells me how he likes my steaks, poultry, pork, etc. He always says his mother was a good cook but when it came to meat everything was like "leather".

When you talk to them about what the real temps ought to be and what they really cook to in restaurants and why, they tend to understand. But the initial conversation is a shock.

I started to learn this years ago as I cooked pork the first time until it just turned white and no pink - then stopped. I found out that that temperature was 140 or thereabouts and kept shooting for it. I then had checked other references and found out that what I was doing was just fine as far as safety.

Pretty much the same story with poultry.

People were telling me how my cooks were like in a restaurant, and I think this has a LOT to do with it notwithstanding the other/significant prep, but with meat and poultry this was a key early on - say 30-35 years ago.

Now when my brother or BIL ask how I do it out by their grill I give them the same info.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
I don't like to take mine much past 135* and haven't gotten sick yet.
J,
Have a pic of 135 pork? I'm just curious how pink it is in the center. My wife will complain if it is too pink for her taste. You understand.

If you are resting, it moves to 140-145 and pretty much all "just at white". But no photo's handy.

A little pink in the center is fine with me, but too many folks are not comfortable with that so I hold that finish for dinners at home typically.

I'm betting jb's got some photos though
icon_smile.gif

A little pink in the center is fine with me, but too many folks are not comfortable with that so I hold that finish for dinners at home typically.

I'm betting jb's got some photos though Smiler

hmmm, I just might:
IMG_6468.JPG

If you take the chop center to 130*-135* and figure 5* or more of carry over heat, and a good 5 min rest you are good to go.

I'm good with a little pink though, when I cook a chop like this, I treat it like steak:
IMG_6459.JPG

My friend called me from Vegas last year to tell me he was at a high-end restaurant and they asked him how he wanted his pork chops. He said he would try it medium. As he told me this story, I called BS. I said there is no way they cooked him a "medium" pork chop. Well yesterday I received an email from him with the link to this story. The email's subject said "I TOLD YOU SO".

Even though its safe to eat it at the new temperature, I will always be a 165 kinda guy. Not for safety reasons, I just like it cooked fully. Same with my chicken. ****, the lowest I go on a steak is medium-well.

Pammi just isn't a pink meat sort of girl! Even steaks. She'll eat those just past medium(juicy,but not RED juice),but pork has to be done for her.
icon_frown.gif
So,I've been taking the tenderloins that we love so much OFF at 145* and resting for just a couple minutes to get it to 150*. Still juicy,but not pink.

Originally posted by dean:
Pork is too dry when cooked at that high of heat. I have never done it that way anyway!
It depends on the amount of fat in the meat. I take my pulled pork (made from what the store calls boneless rib trimmings) to 185° and there seems to not be a problem. Of course I usually add some water when reheating and then add a finishing sauce. The store had whole loins on sale once so I tried to smoke that and it did turn out dry. The trimmings are well marbled with fat and the loin is not. I think that does a lot to stave off dryness when you go for a higher meat temperature.

Yeah pulled pork or pork butt/shoulder is a different "animal". There's a lot of rendering of connective tissue, etc. The lean cuts are the ones that would typically be better served by these lower finish temps.

There's no way I would be pulling a pork butt at 140
icon_wink.gif
But the temp would be safe
icon_smile.gif
So that speaks to safe vs palatability in the posts above.

Shoulder will take longer cook times and higher finish temps typically due to the need to allow for rendering and breakdown of all that connective tissue. Loins, chops, hams, tenderloin different subject IMHO.

Back