Urgent freezing question

Hi, folks:

A large group I thought was coming tomorrow for a Q is now a small group. Likely has something to do with my personality - certainly not my Q!

Here's the thing. al;ong with about ao lbs of ribs, I have two 6.5 lb butts rubbed and ready to go, but realloy only need one. So, can I freeze the rubbed butt? Ought I Q them both and freeze the done butt? (There's not way my wife or my doctor would just let me eat it all.)

All thoughts appreciated.

Michael, if it were me I would cook them both now. The end product is better if cooked prior to freezing IMHO.

Cook them, cool them properly, then bag and freeze for another day.

Good Luck

Frozen cooked pulled pork reheats amazingly well. It's just keeping it in good condition frozen that's the hard part. Do you happen to have a vacuum sealer? If so, it just got a lot easier. If not, I would either try the poor man's vac sealer-- ziplocks full of pork submerged up to the neck in a sink or bowl full of water to force out as much air as possible-- or packed tightly in plastic tub containers, leaving no headspace whatsoever.

Freezing whole, uncooked already rubbed butt risks a hammy-tasting outer portion if there is salt in the rub.

Thanks, folks. There both on the smoker as we speak. Fact is, my kids wil ikely carry away as much as I'll permit them - and more when i go to freshen my drink.

Back