upper and lower grate temps

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi. I'm preparing to use my new WSM this Sunday and I have enough ribs that I'll have to use the upper and lower grates. Do I understand that the upper grate is hotter than the lower? Also, if this is the case, does that mean the thermometer I plan to use (an insertable stick end type from my Weber grill) will give a false reading of the actual temperature on the lower grate because I'm inserting it in the upper vent area? Thanks in advance...

Wayne

Read the Measuring Temperature in the Weber Bullet link. Keep in mind the temp differential Chris discusses is just his results and yours may be different, but its a good rule of thumb. I have only tried to measure my temperature differential once and it wasn't making any sense so I haven't done it again. If you keep your lid temps between 230-275 your ribs will turn out just fine. I typically cook at 240-260 lid temps.

Wayne
Cook at a lid temp of 250 aprox and 2 to 3 hours into the cook rotate the ribs on the bottom rack to the top.
BB rotate in 2 hours and spare I would rotae at the 3 hour mark.
Jim

I've found there to be a 15 degree difference between the center of the top and bottom grates with the temperature at the vent (where you'll be measuring it) around 25 dgrees higher than the top grate.

If your stubby thermo reads 260-270 at the vent, you should be near an ideal temperature rnage at both grates for ribs.

Jim,

How would you suggest the best way to rotate the ribs between the two grates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back