Upgrading old to new propane connections

JBaker

TVWBB Super Fan
I began cleaning out the garage and doing a bit of reorganizing. Stumbled over the Skyline that I found last year on Craigslist (a freebie) and pulled it out into the daylight. Nice condition overall, just needs the propane connect updated. Stopped down to my local Ace Hardware and found their brass fittings in such disarray that I decided to go the Amazon route. These should be coming in today.

Next to the Skyline was another roadside find of this year, it looks to be a Bayou Classic pot burner. Aged so well that it has the push in brass fitting for the connection to the propane tank. I do have a full 5# tank that came off a vintage Performer with gas assist, hooked that up and the regulator is leaking. I imagine that isn't good, with just a 3 foot hose on it.

I'd like to get something comparable to replace the regular and hose, something with the secondary valve to control the output under the pot.

Checking Amazon (and HD and Lowes) I'm finding a few possibilities.

Not all are rated for 15psi as what is on the original. Will that be of concern, if the replacement is rated for 20psi, or 30psi?

I do plan on trying to find at least a 5' hose, possibly more.

Overall the Bayou is in excellent condition, just a bit rust on the base. I've disassembled the burner itself, cleaned that up thoroughly. I was able to jury rig a connection to test the burner, all looks good, just not very safe in it's current state.

Any thoughts or advice? Here's a few pics of the original connection setup. My main concern is having the secondary shut off valve between the regulator and the burner.

IMG_20221113_124805202.jpgIMG_20221113_124834952.jpgIMG_20221113_124849459.jpg

Those big pot burners need a High PSI regulator that is adjustable. BTW those are NOT interchangeable to a grill regulator at all. Forego trying without a regulator. Unless you want to win a Darwin award.

I'm certainly not trying to incinerate myself, that hasn't gone well in the past.

Where do I find a high psi regulator that is adjustable and compatible? Buy off of the Bayou site after contacting them and describing my needs?

On another note, the needed adapters have arrived for the Skyline.

View attachment 62610
This is what I found on the Skyline I just picked up. I understand why he did it, just a little overengineered for my liking. I would like to see your Skyline when you put the adapter on. I have to decide whether to put it back to original, or some slightly less complicated set up to use the regulators with the 3/8 female connection. 20221113_164605.jpg

Those regulators are pretty easy to find. Just search high pressure LP regulators. They are quite common

This is what I found on the Skyline I just picked up. I understand why he did it, just a little overengineered for my liking. I would like to see your Skyline when you put the adapter on. I have to decide whether to put it back to original, or some slightly less complicated set up to use the regulators with the 3/8 female connection. View attachment 62619
I acquired one like that.

20221113_180716.jpg

Here is what my Skyline looked like when I picked it up from the original owner.
I have since unscrewed the qd fitting from the regulator and replaced it with a Qcc1 fitting which was on a bad regulator on a later grill..

Attachments

• IMG-0197.jpg
    IMG-0197.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-0213.jpg
    IMG-0213.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 20
Here is what my Skyline looked like when I picked it up from the original owner.
I have since unscrewed the qd fitting from the regulator and replaced it with a Qcc1 fitting which was on a bad regulator on a later grill..
Your setup wins on ugly hands down! Plus, style points for still having the quick connect.

Had some time this morning to get the adapter in.

Prepped everything indoors, today it's finally getting to be chilly mornings here in New England.

Search for the replacement regulator/hose that I put in a safe place last week, finally found it.

All attached, tested with soapy water, first click on the piezo the front burner fires up, second and third as well.

Biggest obstacle was the tank hanger on the grill would only accept a tank with the oblong hole in the neck, had to switch out from another grill.

Nice grill, got to 600+F in well under 10 minutes. This will be my first time with a 13 flavorer bar Weber.

The regulator and hose for the Bayou should be in today or tomorrow, I purchased that directly from the Bayou Classic website.

1a.jpg3.jpg5.jpg

Prepped everything indoors, today it's finally getting to be chilly mornings here in New England.

Search for the replacement regulator/hose that I put in a safe place last week, finally found it.

All attached, tested with soapy water, first click on the piezo the front burner fires up, second and third as well.

Biggest obstacle was the tank hanger on the grill would only accept a tank with the oblong hole in the neck, had to switch out from another grill.

Nice grill, got to 600+F in well under 10 minutes. This will be my first time with a 13 flavorer bar Weber.

The regulator and hose for the Bayou should be in today or tomorrow, I purchased that directly from the Bayou Classic website.

View attachment 62713View attachment 62714View attachment 62715
Hmm, I wonder what was different about that tank scale that wouldn't take that tank? Anyway, that's how it should look if you are going to put an adapter on, just one extra fitting. I always use pipe dope instead of Teflon tape but I'm sure that's just a personal choice.

The larger flare nut circled in red should not have any pipe tape or pipe dope. The seal is made on the flare, and tape on the threads might make it leak.

And, as Steve said, using pipe dope on the smaller threaded side going into the manifoldis preferred. If using tape, it should be yellow gas safe tape.

That said, I picked up a grill that the prior owner used white tape and its been leak free since I collected it over a year ago. Since it is on the low pressure side it's likely less of an issue, but still, it should be gas safe tape or preferably pipe dope.

1668542512523.png

here is the recommended thread sealant. about $4 a tube that will last most people forever.

I have three tubes because I can not seem to find the tube when I need it and end up ordering another tube.

Last edited:
The larger flare nut circled in red should not have any pipe tape or pipe dope. The seal is made on the flare, and tape on the threads might make it leak.

And, as Steve said, using pipe dope on the smaller threaded side going into the manifoldis preferred. If using tape, it should be yellow gas safe tape.

That said, I picked up a grill that the prior owner used white tape and its been leak free since I collected it over a year ago. Since it is on the low pressure side it's likely less of an issue, but still, it should be gas safe tape or preferably pipe dope.

View attachment 62721

here is the recommended thread sealant. about $4 a tube that will last most people forever.

I have three tubes because I can not seem to find the tube when I need it and end up ordering another tube.

I immediately went on Amazon to order a tube, but Amazon says I bought one just over a year ago?

Amazon is correct. I'll be disassembling tomorrow and refresh witht the pipe thread sealant.

RectorSeal.jpg

Pics of 2 of the tanks I have stockpiled:

The tank that will fit on the grill has 2 small oblong cutouts, with a larger oblong cutout for use as a hand grab when carrying. The hand grab on this tank does not has a "comfort" rolled edge. Any of the three cutouts could be used on this grill hanger.

The tank(s) that will not fit have due to the circular cutout not being large enough for the existing hanger on the grill has that single circular cutout and two hand grabs, both with the "comfort" rolled edge.

I'll measure the hanger tomorrow.

Older tank, seen by date code:

older tank.jpg

Newer tank, seen by date code:
newer tank.jpg

Back