Update: WSM vs Weber 22.5 Kettle

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Thanks for all the replies. I bit the bullet and ordered the WSM and the Weber One Touch Platinum Kettle. What else an I going to do on this Island all winter? Building my wind screen now- its 15 below.

P.S. I'd love to get some technique info on Konrad's 7 hour, award winning, foiled brisket and pulled pork.

Went for both huh? You wont be sorry.

Use natural lump charcoal in the kettle always. The majority around these parts sings the praise of Kingsford briquettes for the WSM. Claim its more heat stable, easier to control, longer lasting. Which is true in certain contexts. I am not sold on Kingsford but do acknowledge its a good fuel to start with if your beginner. Get into natural lump charcoal and you'll notice the difference hand over fist especially in the kettle. Lump charcoal will burn hotter faster which is ideal and really attractive for kettle grilling. Get used the lump charcoal characteristics in the kettle and do it over in the WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Moore:
[qb] I bit the bullet and ordered the WSM and the Weber One Touch Platinum Kettle. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Congratulations! See... Weber has this power over us that none of us can explain!

Have fun with your new toys!

buttsonkettle.jpg

This picture is today 1/23/04, just getting ready to wrap these babies after 4 hours. Boneless butts from Cash & Carry with my Lo Carb Rub. I've not cooked on a small kettle for a whole year. Forgot how much fun it was. Using Weber #3901 side rails.

For best results marinade first. I like KC Masterpiece marinades. Rub the wet meat. Smoke at 275f for 3 to 4 hours semi indirect. Foil cook at 275f to 350f tillf 195 internal. Reserve juice, unwrap let crust firm up in smoke. Sauce with heat and smoke if you like sauced crust. Pull. Apply rub to pulled meat and adjust salt to taste. Mops make a nice crust while cooking. Beer, Oil Lemons and rub makes a good mop. Lots of sugar and direct heat can be a problem.

Although Ray knows a lot more about Butts than I do. He's been doing it longer. Shoulder is the only 1st place I'm missing, several 3rd place finishes.
Enjoy,

Konrad

I have a few questions. Is that foil on top of your coals? Also this is the first time I've heard someone mention foiling the butts during the cook. I'm assuming this is to speed up the process. Also how big are your butts you cooked and what was the total time it took you for this particuar cook?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back