Update on the SmokeFire problems

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I haven't been monitoring the SmokeFire forum since the first week or so since it was released. I was wondering if all or most of the problems of those first grills have been ironed out by Weber at this point (about 90 days).
Is the general consensus trending up or down now?

I think the negative feedback has less decrease. It’s hard to say if all of the problems have been solved. There still seems to be inconsistency in temps from right to left. Some people are reporting that the welded chute is still having the same issues (although I have not had issues with it yet) and some people seem to still have issues with the controller. But I think this is no longer as common.

Thanks Matt. I am just trying to get an idea how it is going for Weber on this one. I am sure the COVID-19 thing isn't helping.

I think people who want it to work, will make it work. Weber support has been amazing as usual.
However, it is an issue when your friends who think your killing it in the backyard and want to buy one and it’s not a slam dunk to recommend it.

I have been following the progress on reddit, social media and other boards. Definitely not as much negativity going on and we are getting more stories of people who are happy with it. But it seems to be alot of inconsistent experiences still. People who had issues got replacement parts and things are better, some people have the exact same problems they had before the replacement parts. You have to remember alot of people who had issues have returned it and done with it. Some people have "made it work" as Bruno said, others are not really interested in that. I think that Weber is still working out the issues and probably have more updates/fixes planned.

I am still interested in getting a SmokeFire, but I am going to wait until things get a bit more stable first. Wait until the updates are out and in the new units by default.

Yah, the problem is that disgruntled customers are going to be a lot more vocal about than those that love it. Also, I think there is some inexperience and operator head space that plays into the narrative as well. Some people are looking for an outdoor oven as well. Just turn it on, set the temp and time and go shopping. "Seriously, I have to refill the hopper? Doesn't it do that for you?"

Yah, the problem is that disgruntled customers are going to be a lot more vocal about than those that love it. Also, I think there is some inexperience and operator head space that plays into the narrative as well. Some people are looking for an outdoor oven as well. Just turn it on, set the temp and time and go shopping. "Seriously, I have to refill the hopper? Doesn't it do that for you?"
lol!!! amen!

Back