Update on my first pork attempt

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post last week on pork butt; they were a great help.
For the most part everything turned out great. The pork went on at 11:40 pm. on Friday night. I stayed with it until 2 am. Temp had been holding around 240-245. When I checked back @ 6:15 the temp had dropped to 215. Didn't have any trouble getting it back up.

At about the 12.5 hour mark the butst were at 181-waiting for it to get to 190 before taking it off. Here is where a made a big mistake. I went inside and got to talking w/ company and lost track of my important duties. When I went back about an hour later-I had run out of fuel! The WSM was reading about 200 and the pork was at 165-170. I got some lump fired up pretty quick (had been using Kingsford up to that point) and kept it on for another 2.5 hours. I kept the butts wrapped for about an hour.

The turned out really good. The guests loved them. I thought they were a little dry, but overall I was very pleased. Well we live and learn-can't wait to do it again.
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back