Update on my Blueberry

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Well this journey with my Blueberry has been a long one. I thought it would have been resto'd and out the door months a go. I injured my arm and then winter came along and I have been blocked from finishing the old gal. Well after a few weeks of it getting dark at 5pm and cold....and grey....and miserable...( I hate winter!!! ) I found myself sitting in my chair from about 6 30 til 11pm every night. As time goes by I am starting to feel awful due to being stagnate so last night I bundled up with winter gear and got back on the horse! I moved the cars out of the garage and rolled the ole gal away from the wall and re introduced myself. My injured arm is still holding me back but I thought I would just make forward progress of any kind vs sitting in my damn chair.
So here I am all motivated and ready to go........I quickly installed my cook box nut and bolt so my beautiful blue lid wouldnt fall out of the frame and I considered that one box checked. I then decided to install the new burners and manifold. I first had to remove the old 45 degree fitting from the manifold and install the new fitting ...something NPT to blah blah blah flare gizmo blah blah......many thanks to the pro's for past advice on this. I removed the fitting and installed the new with dope to make Bruce and Larry proud.....no dope on the flare....got it. So bing bag boom I slide my burners in place....love the new shiny stuff!!! The I go to install the cross over tube and what do I find? What for it.......................waittttttttttt...............the MFR of the burner tubes didnt punch the hole for the cross over tube in one of the long burner tubes!!!! Dang it this really side tracked my progress. Long story short....I clamped the tube in my vice and started with small drill bits and stepped up to larger but as I got to the larger bits they were too destructive to the tube and could tear the metal if not careful. I decided to quit while I was ahead with a medium hole and just finished with a round file 20 minutes of tedious hand filing but got it done. Now back on track I get the tubes installed and then the manifold only to find out that the damn tubes are just a bit short of OEM. Well I had the forum pro's on my shoulder saying yah thats par for the course just slide them back a bit from the mount and favor the manifold side.......and so I did. see pics to see if I was right.
In the end I was in the garage for a couple of ours with old blue and even with the obstacles and cold wet weather I enjoyed myself.
I will enclose pics of how the burners were installed and how the NPT blah blah to the flare blah blah blah fitting was doped up and correct me if u see I did something wrong.
I hope to get back out there tonight......this ole blue seems to have me blocked to make forward progress on other projects so now I realize she has to be conquered.!!!!
I will include the MFR decal......Please tell me what grill I have....a 1000...2000...3000? And what year.....thank you.

Attachments

• 20201221_215758.jpg
    20201221_215758.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 11
I will be switching out the OEM knobs for more modern black knobs......and note the control panel and such in the pics is just mocked up.....Will install utensil holder and other extras tonight. Didnt realize I didnt have 2 new starters waiting in the wings so was unable to finish.

Yep...there she is......I am very anxious to have this grill done and gone.....even though I love it...... This grill is my first old schooler and she is a classy act for sure but I dont have the room on my deck for such a monster so she needs to find a new forever home.

Back