Up and Cooking

Josh Z.

TVWBB Pro
Just got my WSM in the mail! I'm up and cooking thanks to this site and the many great posts. I'm doing a butturfly chicken as described on this site (chicken chicken) and trying out some chicken wings. I've been craving smoked wings since I ate at Sicky Fingers in Chattanooga. They smoke up some mean wings! Well I'm a few hours off a sweet treat, but I didn't want to wait for dinner to thank the community for all the help. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Josh
icon_smile.gif

Dive right in! Attaboy!
I'm making wings myself as I type. I think my sauce will be a little over the top for the wife, but... I'm the one with the "Toss" bowl! LOL!
I used some Franks (the major ingredient) with some touches of: Bone Suckin Sauce (hiccupin hot), Chalula, Blair's Original Death, Dave's Insanity & Scotch Bonnet,& Mad Cat. NO, I'm not insane. I used just enough of each. ROFL. The outcome... Oh you just have to taste it.

I digress... Let us know how it came out and post pics if ya can.

Love the look of your sauce Scott. Did wings the other night myself. What I like to do is to rub the wings with a spicy full-flavored dry rub and get them cooking. The sauce (also spicy, hot, with some sweetness) I mix in a pot and reduce till it's very thick, like honey. When the wings are a bit more than halfway done I pull them to a large bowl, drizzle on the sauce, toss them well and return them to the cooker. The sauce firms and sets.

I'm digressing via your digression.

Definitely, Josh, dive in. Glad you joined us. Welcome to the board!

The results are in! 4 hours of anticipation and the results were worth every second. The chicken was juicy and well smoked. I decided to throw on some polish sausage with 2 hours left...... they turned out perfect. The wings were good, but they weren't "Sticky Finger" good. The skin was crisp and not too tough and the sauces that I bought at sticky fingers (habenaro hot and carolina sweet) couldn't have been better. All in all this website made my cook easy.

Granted I owe my wife a new candy thermooter after I stained hers with smoke (but hey now I know that the WSM can keep an even 250 no problem!)
icon_wink.gif

No picks, but I'll tell ya what... they looked good nice mahogony color.

Thanks again!

Josh

go spend $30 on two electronic probe thermometers. it is worth the money. one in the meat and one in the vent. glad to see you are having as much fun as we all are.

The horizon holds no limits
icon_smile.gif
, but I'm thinking I'll try a butt and a brisket next. As far as my thermometer... well I was already cooking when I thought it might be a good idea, So i read the site and took what I had. In the future I'll mount up some better gear for temps.

Thanks,
Josh

Josh you might want to do some searches in regards to cooking chicken...

but most folks when they cook chicken or wings usaully bring up the temps much higher then 250...more like 300-350...it makes the skin crispy....and since chicken doesnt benifit from low and slow there is no reason to cook at 250....

hence cooking much quicker...

I was just following the advice on the Chicken! Chicken! recipe (form this site) for the whole chicken and then threw on some extra wings using a recipe that I found from searching these boards.... I'll try em the faster way next time, but this time around it all tasted good.

The high temp recipes recommended that I brine for 4 hours and then dry for 4 hours, and well... I got the WSM at 4:00 PM and I wanted to smoke for dinner! thus i went for the Chicken! Chicken! recipe that is in the cooking topics.

Thanks for the tips and I will surely try the brine and higher temp method when i have time.

Back