Unusual woods for smoking

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am still waiting for my WSM to arrive, but I thought I would ask if anyone had any experience with a couple of different types of smoking wood that I have access to. Specifically, Norway maple, pear wood, and grape vines. The maple tree was cut down a few years ago, and is well seasoned. The pear tree partially fell down in a storm a few years ago, and is also well seasoned. The vines are out of a working vinyard, and are quite thick - about 2 feet long, various varietals. Has anyone ever had any experience with these woods, or any tips for using them?

(Edited to remove typo)

All of those should be OK, the maple is the one I know the least about. Pear should be nice and sweet, the grape is good flavor and also makes great coals for grilling.
Jim

Well I've smoked a lot with pear wood. My dad has a pear tree that always seems to need trimming. So I use it a lot. It's comparible to apple wood, only IMO not quit as sweet. But still good. Apple and Pear is what I use the most. I'm going to trim a bunch of maple and plum hopefully this weekend from my dads. I'm looking forward to trying the plum. I use the wood green with fine results. I've read there are a very few they don't recommend using green but most don't seem to be that big of a deal. I could see if your cooking over an all wood fire having to have seasoned wood for that. But if your cooking over coals green wood I don't think is all that different from soaking wood chips in water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back