Unicorn Found! The Weber Flat Top FT-400

Brock,
I have used that on wheels and other black plastic trim. The sliding shelves on the Flat-Top are porcelain coated steel just like hoods and earlier control panels. My shelves have a very bad case of “Weber fade.”

View attachment 85857

I tried the Pam trick and was surprised it did as much as it did.

View attachment 85858

Of course, Pam is only a temporary “fix” and can’t eliminate scratches. Even sitting inside my house it is still slowly wearing off.

I am considering Jeff at IPE in Kansas who does amazing re-porcelain coating. That would make them like new. Need to concentrate on taxes right now. Getting some returns done could help pay for sending them to Jeff!
Ah, that makes sense. I hear you on taxes. I'm waiting to do mine for when I get my truck back from repairs.

Agreed though, I've seen some of IPE's work and it is amazing. Personally at some point I'd love to have them do a kettle in a black cherry color.

I doubt there is anyone in the country that does what Jeff at IPE does - certainly not as well. I tried talking to some places local to me, and I couldn't find anyone interested at all in doing grill stuff. They just want to do bathtubs!

Like the black cherry kettle idea. I want an avocado kettle someday, but a matching classic Genesis would make a beautiful set.

I doubt there is anyone in the country that does what Jeff at IPE does - certainly not as well. I tried talking to some places local to me, and I couldn't find anyone interested at all in doing grill stuff. They just want to do bathtubs!
That reminds of trying to find someone that would be capable and willing to refinish the control panels of these old grills. I found a company that specializes in restoring old porcelain coated signs. They had a website filled with all the beautiful work they had done and inviting inquiries. I figured a Weber Genesis 1000 control panel was more or less the same thing and sent them an email. They must have considered that beneath them because I never heard back from them.

Like the black cherry kettle idea. I want an avocado kettle someday, but a matching classic Genesis would make a beautiful set.
Yeah, my idea is to have them do a fade if they can black at the top and bottom of the bowls for the handle and one touch, then fading out into that deep black red tint, and almost maroon in the center where the lid meets the bowl. If not, a solid color would be fine.

I might do it on my 26" after doing some modification drilling so everything is coated and protected well. That will be down the road though maybe in a year or so. Would need work overtime to pick up if I want to do it any sooner.

Back