Unexpected

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
This afternoon I got a text from my younger daughter: "Alex and I will be stopping by after dinner. We have a gift for you."

So I'm puzzled. I replied, "It's probably not as nice as this steak."

745713607.jpg

Hey, it's a pretty nice rib steak! And she wrote back, "It'll go well with that."

So they show up and Alex is carrying something covered with a towel. I was expecting (and hoping for, to be honest, since I was grilling a really nice steak) some beer or maybe a bottle of fancy brandy, but nooo...I get this instead:

IMG950616.jpg

It's an early '70s brown Smokey Joe they found at a thrift shop. It's clearly never been used but has a significant defect, although there's no way to tell if it came that way from the factory or if it was the result of assembly at the hands of someone who never should've been allowed near it.

IMG950617.jpg

IMG950618.jpg

The Obligatory Reading Material pegs this as a '73-74 model.

IMG950619.jpg

So for one of the incredibly few times in my life, I was rendered almost speechless. Plus, since they stopped by after *their* dinner I didn't have to share my steak. ;)

Last edited:
You're not from Wisconsin, are you. ;)

There's no way I can cook on it because it's much too nice, but at the same time it was meant to be used. I'm conflicted!
No I'm not but I get to enjoy some Spotted Cow beer once a year, when my boss goes to a Green Bay game. Good stuff.

If you are concerned you may break down and use it, I could keep it safe for you in my collection. :giggle:
And it would feel right at home next to my sage offset. :D

20220911_170011 sg.jpg

Back