Unbelievable Pork Butt -- thank you WSM!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

We had an international dinner at our church and my group had to make food from the country of Mexico. Since we all have young kids and are always busy, we were trying to think of ways to make a lot of food without a lot of fuss. I decided I could smoke some port butt seasoned Mexican style and then serve it on tortillas like soft tacos.

So I prepared two pork butts (abount 7 1/2 lbs each), slathered with mustard and rubbed with a spice mixture of salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and cumin. I let them sit overnight in the fridge.

I needed them for about a 6pm meal, so I started my WSM at 11pm via the Minion method, with Kingsford Mesquite charcoal and several large chunks of mequite wood. I put the butts on and let the cooker come up to temp for about an hour and when it hit about 230f, I adjusted the vents and went to bed.

I checked it about 4am and the temp was rock solid at 230. I checked again at 7am and it was still steady at 230 (love the WSM!) I added a bit more water to the pan at 7am and then went to church with the family.

Got back home after lunch around 1:30pm. WSM was still steady at 230. During all this time I never lifted the lid to look at the butts, never turned them, never basted, just left them alone!

The probe thermo I had in one of the butts was reading 188, so I decided to leave them in for a bit while I mowed the yard. At 3pm when the yard was done, the cooker was still at 230 (I never had to stir the coals or anything) and the probe read 190, so I decided to take them off and wrap them in foil and put them in a cooler until dinner time.

When I got to the church about 5:45pm and started pulling the meat, so many people instantly appeared saying, "Oh! That smells soooo gooood!" I had a line forming for pork tacos before some of the other groups even got their food on their tables!

It was the easiest and best pork butt I have done to date! I was different eating it on a tortilla with salsa and guacamole rather then on a bun with BBQ sauce, but it sure was good!

Byron,
If you want to expand on this theme,do a search for "conchita pibil" and/or puerco pibil.There is a thread in Pork Recipes and another in Barbequeing.
It's a lot of fun and a great visual presentation at serving time.

Back