unable to load bbq* files into Stokerlog

Ken, I want to thank you very much for all the time and effort you spent replying to my connection problems. Who would have thought it would have been the "auto" mode on the Stoker. I don't know what to say.
THANKS!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Brown:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Schuebel:
Ken, I envy you. I have been having major issues with getting this thing set up to access from outside my network. I can access it just fine inside my network. I seem to have trouble with getting my ports to open up to the outside world.
All my ports show their status as "stealthed" when I use a port tool. It has to be a setting on my router (Netgear WPN824)that I'm overlooking. I have this week off work and have spent the bulk of it trying to figure this out. Any ideas?

Thanks
Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't feel bad, these things kick everyones butt's including mine sometimes. I'll start off with some things I've found in the past.

#1, I used to think my port 80 was blocked by my ISP, Comcast. In this case, I was wrong, In other cases, not wrong, some Esp's block a lot of port to incoming traffic. In my case, the problem was 2 fold, first when using a static IP on the Stoker, the router would not forward port 80 to it. If I used DHCP (auto configuration), it knew how to do it. Very odd I know, but others have confirmed it. So my first recommendation is to reset your Stoker to auto. (change the first 3 digits to 255 and it will reset.)

If your router will allow, reserve an IP for the Stokers mac address. You can find this easily by pinging the stoker after it has obtained it's new address. Don't ask me how to do this in Vista, haven't tried, but under w2k, xp, it's Start-Run, CMD. This will give you the command prompt. At the prompt type ping 192.168.x.xxx These numbers should represent your stoker IP address. It should return some numbers indication how long it took to respond. If that's OK, type ARP -a , this will return the mac address of recently store IP addresses. Use the mac address shown to reserve an IP for the stoker. If you can't reserve an address, you'll have to check it each time you cook to insure you are working with the correct address.

If your ISP will not allow incoming traffic on port 80, you must use port translation. This translation tells the router that incoming traffic directed to one port should actually be directed to another port. In my case, I translate port 8035 to port 80.

If your ISP is blocking port 80 and your router does not support translation, you're out of luck. It would be nice if you could change the port on the Stoker, but it can't be done.

If you can translate, great, do that and forward both ports, 80 and 8035 in my case, and try it again.

You also need to know what IP address your router is using to connect to the Internet. This can be found user status on your router interface. Because this number changes, I subscribe to dyndns.org and have a free dynamic IP address for my home. Here is how that works, each time your router, it it reports the new IP address to DUNEDIN'S.ORG, who in turn updates it's records. So when I enter in an address of http://krown.dyndns.org:8035 in my INTERNET browser, all the elements kick into place and there is my Stoker. (not turned on now)

In reality, the best way to do this is text messaging anyway. My stoker reports all probes to me every 30 minutes. (you can set to any value, I found 15 minutes overkill, 45 not enough) I use my program for this, StokerTimers, but Amir's does the same thing. Mine has a couple of other benefits that Amir is going to add with his next revision. (reseting cooking temps by time or condition. IE ramps) This is an example of a ramped cook from yesterday. http://www.krownsoft.com/Stoker/20lbTurkey.JPG
His has many more features for monitoring at work, including sending a pic of the graph to your work. PIC don't work on my cell phone. Very Cool.

I hope this helps, BTW, Belkin make a good cheap wireless router that will do 2 of the 3 things you need for $39.00, sold at HomeDepot. It does both port forwarding and port translation, sorry no reserve IP's. I have a Netgear FVG318, may be a little overkill for most people, but I'm kinda anal when it comes to things like that. plus it's my job. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back