UK Charcoal Prices and Recommendations

RichardWhitmill

TVWBB Member
As someone based in the UK, one of the issues I have found has been sourcing good quality charcoal briquettes at a reasonable price.

My go to has been Weber's own brand briquettes which are consistent and have a long burn time. I've also tried Heat Beads for my latest cook and got to say I am impressed as they burn a bit cooler than the Weber briquettes and a little easier to dial in temps, burn a bit longer.

Not much in it but have to be ordered online and prices I have paid have worked out at
Weber £2.37/kg (approx $1.35/pound)
Heat beads £2.10/kg (approx ($1.19/pound).
This is a lot more than over the pond as you can see in latest pricing list on this forum. I think that's always going to be the case as BBQ isn't so big over here and not a huge market for it.

Thread 'Historical Kingsford Original Charcoal Price List' https://tvwbb.com/threads/historical-kingsford-original-charcoal-price-list.58501/

At the other end of the market and in most shops the options tend to be lumpwood or that awful instant light stuff. You can get Big K briquettes cheap, not sure on quality.

I want to take a look at some options and am going to do some experiments this summer and keep a spreadsheet.

So would welcome some feedback to give some thoughts, maybe even make a list like the one above. Anyone in the UK invited to post about brands they use answering

• What brand is it and where did you buy it?
  • Date of purchase
  • Size in kg and price
  • How would you rate it and any detail
I will also post as I go mainly for my own record!

Heat Beads. Bought 16 March at https://thebbqshop.co.uk/fuels/charcoal/heatbeads-10kg-briquettes

10kg / £20.99 + £4.95 postage

Got to say was impressed with these briquettes. They burn a bit cooler than the Weber briquettes but for a nice long time. Haven't done any long long cooks but a couple, one dialled in nicely at 120c for about 6 hours. Latest one running hotter with vents open and started about 150c then was steady at 140c for rest of cook. Will keep tinkering as still have enough for couple of cooks. At the moment feels like a straight tie between Weber and heat beads so would go on price.

Back