Uhhh...whoops...help!

Glenn M

TVWBB Member
I was putting together my rub tonight for my pork butts and didn't read the recipe right and used 1.5 tablespoons of cayenne instead of 1.5 teaspoons. Is this a 'huge' problem? How would you adjust it?

btw I was using Chris' Slathered mustard & rub recipe

The recipe you see will be used on two very good sized butts.

Thanks guys!

Cayenne packs quite a wallop so unless you like your bark four-alarm spicy I'd increase all the other rub ingredients by at least 100%, maybe a bit more more. Seal up the extra and use it some other time.

Looks like you might have some left over rub...
wsmsmile8gm.gif

OK...after a few visits to the Sylvan Learning Center and I master the difference between a Tablespoon and teaspoon I should be just fine.
icon_wink.gif

I did the 3:1 ratio and now have a very decent sized bowl of rub. I'm also doing a brisket and ribs this week so I doubt it will stick around long or go to waste.

While I feel like a bit of a fool, I'm sure there have been bigger transgressions in the world of bbq.

Thanks guys!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JRPfeff:
Don't be girlie-man. Use the rub and eat the butt. You may end up with your own winning recipe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somehow I doubt that this will by my vulcanized rubber discovery. Thanks for your advice though but I think when I screw up with something other than sinus inferno I'll give the ol' competition a go.
icon_wink.gif

It will still have a little more heat that it should have. Probably won't matter though.
You guys kept forgetting the extra 1 teaspoon of cayenne.
1.5 T = 4.5 t
icon_wink.gif

Glen - might be a little late, but a little extra sugar would help cut some of the heat. Another alternative is use less rub.

I made a similar mistake when mixing a batch for a competition last year, only I substituded cayenne for paprika...adding about 1/4Cup of cayene to the rub. Didn't realize it until turn in time...too late for much adjustment. Took 11th place anyway. Now I call it my Cajun mistake rub, have used it on chicken and shrimp and its pretty darn good, but a little goes a long way.

Yep, I did the same thing (actually added the red pepper twice)! Now, when I do two butts, One gets the "mistake" extra spicey. The other gets the standard Mr. Brown. It is interesting that most everybody above age 30 goes for the spicey (except for the occasional spice wimp). Most everyone under age 20 goes for the standard (except for the occasioanl bold youngster). Twentysomethings are as usual mixed up!

Back